Podocarpus Macrophylla

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by MikeFL, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MikeFL

MikeFL Member

Can anyone help? I have planted a hedge of Podocarpus Macrophylla in my yard in St. Augustine, Florida (North eastern Florida). One side seems to be doing find, the other side continues to die branch by branch, plant by plant. All plants are in well drained, sandy soil in full sun. I have replaced several plants 4 times with the same result. Leaves start to yellow, then the branch, then the whole plant. Nothing on the internet seems to give a clue as to what is happening in this specific area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Any possibility of soil contamination? Are you close enough to the sea for salt spray to be a problem?

3. MikeFL

MikeFL Member

I am not close to the sea but soil contamination was a thought. I just can't imagine what would be in the soil that would kill these plants like it has.

4. Michael F

Waste motor oil is probably the commonest soil contaminant (and persists in the soil for many years), but there are plenty of other possibilities. Do you know the past history of the site?

Another thought - are any neighbours using herbicides?

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

"are any neighbours using herbicides?" deliberately was the first thing that jumped into my mind. Is the hedge on a boarder? and maybe the neighbour does not want it.

Liz

6. MikeFL

MikeFL Member

Liz,

That was my first thought but it is a hedge across the front of the property on the street and the neighbor on that side is a parking lot owned by the Baptist Church. There were 6 plants originally. The two nearest the property line seem to be doing OK, the next 3 have been the ones affected and there is one next to my front walk which was doing fine until I notice 2 days ago, that some of the leaves were turning yellow. On the other side of the front walk is the rest of the hedge consisting of about 20 plants and they are all fine. I just can't figure out what could be in the soil in that one spot that could continually kill podocarpus.

7. Michael F

Someone preaching hellfire and brimstone at the church?? ;-)

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably pathogenic or maybe even something like nematodes (if those attack these). Try Florida Cooperative Extension for assistance.