what is this? tropical water lily leaf forming from another leaf

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by khabbab, Aug 18, 2009.

1. khabbab

khabbab Active Member

hello,

i m in zone 10b and this tropical water lily day bloomer is in a large clay pot blooming nicely. can someone tell me what is this new leaf producing from another leaf? what will happen if i put this leaf in another pot? can it help me propagate the water lily? here goes the pics.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. tugo

tugo Active Member

khabbab, you are lucky because you have a viviparous tropical. It happens but seldom and with only some varietes. When you see enough roots under, you can transplant it to another pot and you will have exactly the same as the mother plant, as far as I know.

3. khabbab

khabbab Active Member

yes the white roots are forming but which part to transplant? whole parent leaf or should i cut the parent leaf and only transplant the center of the parent leaf which has roots?

4. tugo

tugo Active Member

I do not have a practice but as far as I have read, when the roots are strong enough, cut around with some rest of the mother leave.If it was my chance, I would place another pot next to it and deep the roots in without cutting its connection to the main plant and wait for a healthy growth but this is only my personal idea.