Acer Dissectum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by digger714, Aug 19, 2009.

1. digger714

digger714 Member

Hello, i have a japanese red maple var. dissectum and was wondering if it can be air layered. Also, do new shoots grow out of existing branches. I have one that the leaves were cut off, and was waiting for new shoots to start, but havent after 2 months. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    brad

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

There was a thread sometime in the past year or so about a special air-layering kit designed (I think) especially for maples, or maybe for hardwood trees in general. I couldn't find it in a quick forum search, but typing "air layering maple" into the search block above does turn up a whole page of links.

Yes, new shoots grow out of existing branches. It may not happen until next spring, though.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi write in "search" "propagation acer pictum usugumo the villa taranto way"there are a pics of method ,however only after one year you have a new maple
    ciao

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, it is certainly possible to air layer Acer Palmatum. A knowledgeable person who used to post regularly on these forums suggested that it was a favoured method of old-school Japanese growers. I tried air layering Japanese Maples for the first time at the beginning of June this year, and the roots are now visible but the layers are not yet ready to be removed. I feel I am at least half way there, but it is not a done deal yet. Here is a picture of one, showing the new roots:
    airlay1.jpg
    Hopefully the roots will be established enough for the new plant to be removed before winter.
    I do not think it is a good idea to start an air layer at this time of the year, but instead wait until next year in late May/early June, unless your area is generally frost free in winter.

Probably the biggest drawback is that you have to put up with unsightly bags (or pots etc) on your trees for several months.

Attached Files:

5. digger714

digger714 Member

Thanks to all for the links, and advice. I started it on june 16, but didnt know if the dissectum was different than other *** maples. I have heard they are much more fragile. But now im waiting to see some roots . Thanks again for the advice. Good luck with all of your favorites.

Brad

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The dissectums have a reputation for being difficult to grow from cuttings, hopefully they will be fine air layered given enough time. The only dissectum I have tried to layer this year is 'Seiryu', but that doesn't really count.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.