A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Guess what?...

Yesterday I received the tiny particle of pink oyster mushroom mycelium! I already have it in the jar with the coffee grounds and filters and in three days it should start to spread, I am told. How exciting...

Also I just got the Fluorescent Purple and the Black Pearl pepper seeds from that other nice lady today! She sent me tons, I was so surprised. Also, she included Pepper Joe's Alma Paprika pepper! See pic below. I am going to go sow a few of each right now.

By the way...

Another one of your black pearl pepper seeds came up today, Penny!!! The more, the merrier, I say. I am excited to see how those Fluorescent Purple pepper plants look and grow too. How cool.

: )

P.S. Another tomato tree seed popped today as well, Beth!!!

Attached Files:

2. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Yaaaaa, i'm so glad that they are doing well.
    Its exciting when its a plant you really want to sprout isnt it.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Whee! Are you seeing leaves yet on the first one, or just cotleydons?

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

My message never posted! :o

HBL, I know you like these little fishies, but it would probably be best to put them back into the river unless you have a fish tank.

Yay coffee!!!

5. The Hollyberry Lady

I am keeping the fish until just before frost, and then I am putting them back in the river. They are thriving in my pond, and keeping things spotless for me, so why mess with what is working. They are happy and well fed.

Just the cotyledons so far, Beth, but 3 other seeds popped for me today. Every seed I planted is germinating!

: O

6. The Hollyberry Lady

See my tomato tree sproutings for yourself, Beth ...

Attached Files:

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Sorry Beth, if you saw the first pic - it was the wrong one!

I edited the post and inserted the right pic now. Hope you see my little Tamarillo sproutings...

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Penny:

Wow, another Black Pearl is up today!

Seeds are popping everywhere! Now I have three plants - how wonderful. I know I say I 'love' just about every plant, but this plant is so special to me, you have no idea. I have wanted them for so long, and you have made it happen for me, Penny!

To think that you sent me them as a surprise, along with the others I asked for. I was so shocked when I saw your black pearls, I had to read the packet twice to be sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Wish you could have seen my face.

At this point Penny, you could likely ask me for just about any seed you want from me, and I would send it right along! Better take advantage while I am still bedazzled by these black pearl seeds! Thanks so much. You will see the pics as it grows.

Here are my 3 little seedlings today. They are such a beautiful dark purple color. If I said I was in love before, now I am head over heels...

Attached Files:

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

HBL,

If freezing weather is a worry where you are for the pond then buy a rubber ball and put that in the pond, it prevents the water freezing so I am told.

Also a man near me who I got talking gardens with tells me that some plants like water lily do not like moving water.

lol I don't know why I mention but its a tip for future members anyway lol

10. The Hollyberry Lady

It's true Katalina - my nelumbo too doesn't like moving water. Neat tip about the rubber ball!

I will not let my fish die, so don't worry. I am on top of it everyday and making sure that they are doing well. It is a huge concern for me to keep my fish happy and fed. I just don't see a good reason for interupting this balanced ecosystem.

I just recently heard that Vicarious got some goldfish for his contianer pond, and they died!!! I think my minnows are hardy little guys, and I want to keep them because they are surviving, which tells me my pond is able to sustain them well.

Anyway, thanks for the great tips, Katalina.

11. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

Hey everyone! sorry havnt been around things have got a wee bit busy till i move.
    Great to see people are getting stuff going cant wait to see more pics.
    Great that the fish are surviving.

Attached Files:

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I wish you could see this guys fish tank in his front lawn, its fab.

Is it carp (fish) which he has? I think thats what they are called.

Just above it he has a church that lights up at night he made himself.

He gave me a cutting of a tree which has drop pearl type white flowers, I can't believe how many flowers this year. I was also amazed at the thickness of the stem from a year old cutting.

Soon he will seperate dog daisy those tall one and give me some.

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

hey Greer you must have posted same time as me.

Yours flashed as posted same time as mine did by seconds.

Yep, we both posted 1 minute ago.

14. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Greer what are the orange called?

15. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

orange? i'm not too good with colour sorry
    but thanks i forgot to lable the shots.
    The first is Hylocereus undatus in flower, the second Victoria cruziana, Third is a shot of the Nelumbo nucifera leaves from underneath and the last 3 are Nymphaea x daubenyana

16. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks a lot Greer!

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Why you little bugger, Katalina!!!

I suppose you have the seeds for that gorgeous blue beauty also?!!! Wow, is all I can say. How unbelievably awesome! I have never seen anything so amazing. Look how blue it is! That other pic looks like giant blue Celosia!!!

Try to get a shot of that fish tank on the guy's lawn, will ya? By your description, I am dying to see it! It sounds incredible...

Greerish:

Great holy Moses, those are some stunning shots! I just love them! Wowsers! You are one heck of a gardener, and I find your shots very inspiring, indeed. I am growing nelumbo nucifera, also. Will yours produce flowers this season?!!! You probably saw mine, but here it is again in case you didn't - my lotus, as of yesterday...

Attached Files:

19. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

Thank you HBL, there are far better gardeners than me out there. Unfortunatly i cant take credit for the plants as i only started on monday. The Nelumbo are grown from seed each year same as the V. cruziana which is incredibly spiky, but the lotus has flowered already far out of reach (2 meters above the water)too so they couldnt be polinated by hand so the gardens use seed which is kept in storeage.
    Think you have 2 or 3 more leaves there than the last time i saw them. glad so they're doing well with you I really enjoy seeing people growing plants and following their progress, are you going to try and get them to produce tubers for winter or try and keep them in growth?

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Tugrul, and others interested:

Here are shots of my pink oyster mushroom mycelium, and how I am beginning the whole process...

First I made a pot of coffee and let the grounds sit for a couple hours while I sterilized the wide-mouth jar you see below, in boiling water - the lid too. I sterilized a pin in a flame, so I could push the pellet of agar and living fungus out of the plastic shipping bubble and into the jar - onto the coffee and filter. Then I closed the jar lid loosely and placed it in my dark cupboard - because it doesn't need light until it's time to fruit.

As you can see in the 2nd pic below, the white fuzz is beginning to grow. This is what I was told would happen, and that I must wait until the fungus spreads over the entire layer of coffee and filter, before adding another fresh layer. You keep adding layers of fresh coffee grounds and filters, until you reach the top of the jar and the entire container is fully colonized with the culture.

Then you take off the lid, and place a flimsy baggy like the kind in the produce section, which keeps the humidity up and allows gas exchange. I am told I will be in mushrooms a week from this point!!!

I will continue to show pics as this process continues, but I am very nervous and have never done anything like this before. The person who sent me the fungus is helping me though, so I feel somewhat confident.

We'll see...

Attached Files:

21. The Hollyberry Lady

At least you're honest, Greerish! I would have taken the credit!

Totally joking, of course.

Yes, it's my understanding that my nelumbo will lay dormant over the Winter in my cool bright foyer, and then I put it outside again next Spring. When the water warms enough, it is supposed to continue to grow again.

Never thought of keeping it going over winter! What a great idea. I do have a 400w metal halide light system that could really come in handy. Oh my, so many things to consider and think about now...

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, Tugrul and others...

I have started a new thread in the 'conversation and chat' section entitled...

"Growing pink oyster mushrooms in a pickle jar! : O"

Anyone wishing to follow step by step how to do this, and see on-going pics, is welcome to join the thread and I look forward to seeing you there...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Also, more interesting recent sproutings:

1st shot is three 'silvercup' lavatera and outer smaller sprouts are mixed colored Snapdragons, 2nd shot is purple coneflower (echinacea)...

Attached Files:

24. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

Greerish:

I have grown nelumbo inside in the winter before, but just never considered bringing the one I have now indoors this year. I wonder if it will keep growing and bloom for me!

So many people tell you this and tell you that, but who knows for sure unless you try. I really am enjoying this whole container pond/fish/nelumbo experience and I want to learn how to easily carry my ecosystem over from year to year...

Has anyone actually done this with a container pond? Love to hear first-hand experience...

25. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I just got my first musa basjoo banana plant today.!! :)) I cant wait til it gets big. :)

Attached Files: