Identification: Palm identification

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by mdpick, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mdpick

mdpick Member

I'm hoping someone can help me. On a recent visit to El Conquistador Resort in Puerto
    Rico we saw an interesting palm that no one in the hotel could identify. I only saw it growing in pots usually in partial sun/shade. It had a large bulbous base (about 2-2.5 ft in diameter) which quickly tapered into a single thin trunk. It usually was about 6-8 ft tall. The top had thin soft leaves/frond which reminded me of a wig -- always solitary. It reminded me of a Dr. Seuss character with its "mop top" hair hiding its head and a long skinny neck ending in a bulbous body. Yes, I know a picture would help -- my bad. Any ideas might help. I've exhausted myself hunting through internet pictures without luck.

Thanks, Ricky

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Check out Beaucarnea recurvata. Not a palm, though often mistaken for one.

3. mdpick

mdpick Member

That's IT! Excellent job from my description! Thanks so much. Now I can add a unique plant to my backyard if I can locate one!

Ricky

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yup, that was a perfect description of b. recurvata (aka ponytail palm)!

depending on what zone you are in, you may not be able to plant one in-ground. they're not cold-hardy. easy enough to put them out for the summer and bring inside in fall, though. they're not the fastest growers, so, you'll be able to do that for quite some time!