Some General Questions from a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by henlij, Aug 11, 2009.

1. henlij

henlij Member

Thanks for taking the time to help me answer some questions. My cacti are in need of some TLC after a move and remodel.

First Question, referring to "DSC00003.jpg". This cactus graft has seen better days. I've gathered from some other posts that is is best to just leave the top (dead) piece alone and if it falls off sometime, fine. I'm concerned with the size of the out-growths on this little guy though. What should I do with them? They are larger than the main cactus now, yikes!

Second Question, referring to "DSC00005.JPG". What is going on here? And what, if anything, should I do. Is the cactus about to flower? :-)

Last question, referring to "DSC00006.JPG". See the small growth on the lower left of the cactus. I assume that is just a "bud" and can be removed and possibly propagated to another new cactus. Please confirm.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

#1 is a grafted cactus, with something small (not sure what) grafted on an Epiphyllum stock. If the small thing on top is dead, you can keep the Epiphyllum as it is, it makes a nice plant with very large flowers.

#2 - yes, a flower bud, which will open some time in the next week or two.

#3 - yes, an offset side shoot. You can either leave it on to grow naturally, or use it as a cutting to produce a separate new plant.

3. henlij

henlij Member

Thanks Michael. Last thing, should I just leave it as is? I wasn't sure if I should remove the large out growths. If keeping it as is, I'll plan on moving it to a bigger pot and placing it deeper in the soil as it is tipping over on that side. Thanks again.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

that pot size is okay for the epi for the moment, so you can leave it there until next spring - then repot into a larger container if it's needed. they don't have the most extensive root system, though, and do like to be a bit root-bound to bloom, so, that size should do for a couple years.

please post a pic of the flower when the bud opens!! also, is that yellow bit a glued-on fake flower or something that's behind the cactus? if it's a fake flower, you can/should remove it...as gently as possible so you don't do damage to the flesh of the plant.

i'd leave the pup attached to the main plant for the moment...let it get larger and start developing it's own roots before splitting it off. also, as more pups develop, they actually look quite nice all in a tight bunch, so you can leave them be for quite a while!

very nice group of plants and everything looks nice and healthy - and they all look like they're getting good light, too!

5. henlij

henlij Member

Thank you Joclyn. That yellow bit was on the cactus when I bought it from our garden store in town. I'll have to take a close look but I just assumed it was part of the cactus, haha! I'm glad you think they look "healthy", I was a bit embarrassed to post pics in the first place as I feel I've neglected them so much the past few months. I even let some drywall dust collect on them. My main plant is a 8yr old Jade which I absolutely love. It is so difficult to trim it and throw away the branches so I just keep buying more pots and giving away the offsrpring. :-)

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

most cacti LOVE it when you neglect them ;)

7. cactimun

cactimun Member

#3 yes I agree with Michael F it is an offshoot you can cut it off and plant it in DRY soil, that is very important. but even before you plant it let it sit on a clean cloth for two or three days. Then in an three to four week lightly water it because up untill then it will not have roots therefore it will not soak up water and just encourage rot.

8. henlij

henlij Member

Attached is the pic of a new flower that bloomed. I'm sorry to say it only bloomed for a couple days and then shriveled and fell off. The first one never bloomed, it just shriveled and fell off. Very pretty though, wish I would have gotten a better pic. In the other pic, you can see a newly planted cactus flowering. The garden seems happy...once again.

Thanks for the help and advice. :-)

Attached Files: