Philodendron crassinervium a/k/a Philodendron lanciolatum

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Aug 10, 2009.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Do any of you grow Philodendron crassinervium from southeastern Brazil? What can you tell me about the max size of the blade? The species is sometimes known as Philodendron lanciolatum or Philodendron alternans but according to the botanists they are the same plant. Well, most of them think so anyway!

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. trikus

trikus Active Member

Just saw a large healthy one today Steve , close to 1m long max , buy usually 60 cms .

3. photopro

Thanks Mic! The greehouse keeper at MOBOT in St. Louis gave me a nice one so I'm trying to get info for a new page. I always appreciate your help.

4. photopro

Mic, have you observed multiple growth forms of Philodendron crassinervium? This photo was provided by Leland Miyano this morning. The grid is 1 inch (2.54 cm,)
    square. He has both forms (stable) that grow together. I suspect the multiple forms is what caused the variation known as Philodendron lanciolatum to have been described.

The specimen I acquired in June is the first I've grown of this species so this one is new to me.

Attached Files:

5. trikus

trikus Active Member

The one here is identical to yours , it came in a large batch of imported plants from Tom many years ago .

6. photopro

Thanks Mic. I've been reading all day on this species and hope to have the page underway late tomorrow.

7. photopro

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. photopro

The possible "mystery" as to whether or not the currently determined synonym names of Philodendron lanceolatum Schott and Philodendron alternans Schott are in fact synonymous with Philodendron crassinervium. Dr. Croat supplied Schott's original drawing of the inflorescence of the plants he described and it does not match the accepted appearance of Philodendron crassinervium. I've added the plate and an explanation to the page.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron crassinervium Philodendron lanceolatum.pc.html