Lower Mainland Dormant Oil Spraying 2009

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cgjedi, Mar 5, 2009.

1. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

Hi,

I planted various kinds of fruit trees last season and this is the first year I'm looking into dormant oil spraying. I know I have to spray before the buds open. I know I have to spray when it's not been raining 24-48 hours. I know I have to spray when temperatures are above 5C. I'm curious when people actually have the chance to spray then - I haven't seen all of those conditions yet and I don't want to be too late.

Any suggestions? Can people who are experienced here in the Lower Mainland only share a bit about what you do?

Thanks.

2. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

Not many replies. Well here's another issue. I'm trying to actually find dormant oil. Home Depot and Rona both don't sell it anymore. According to one of the staff, it due to environmental reasons. What the heck - it's better for the environment to have infestations of insects through neighborhoods and orchards?

Are there any places that haven't been bullied where you can still buy it?

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Yes Its time to spray. They usually say to do it before he buds open but, I've seen other advise that says it doesn't matter. Make sure that you really drench the cracks and crevises. After a day or so the rain wonn't really matter as most of the oil is already soaked in.

4. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

I have no problem finding dormant oil in the nurseries and farm supply stores in BC. Try a more rural location nursery that caters to orchardists and you should have no problem finding it either.

5. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

My local Wal-Mart just got their supply in and the dormant mix is there.

6. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

I spray my fruit trees with Lilly Miller Lime Sulphur two or three times, once in mid-January and then 2-3 weeks later. I just wait till it's not raining and there's no wind - it's really gross to have that stuff blow on you - it smells like rotten eggs. Even if it rains on the trees within a few hours , that stuff seems to stick. (especially to the leaves of broadleaf evergreens that you didn't intend to spray)

Home Depot doesn't seem to carry it anymore but I found it at Lowes in north Seattle. I would imagine a real garden center would carry it but it would be more expensive. If it becomes unavailable, I guess I'll just have to watch my peach tree die from peach leaf curl.

If someone has a recommendation for a better dormant spray for fruit trees, I would appreciate hearing about it.