Jade Plant Disaster

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Luna7783, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Luna7783

Luna7783 Member

Hello Everyone, I got a jade plant for my birthday on July 7, and Iit is not doing too well. I had the plant on the middle of my large living room, between two windows with no direct light. Green, fresh leaves were falling off in alarming amounts, and while I was upstairs one morning, my visiting mother put a pitcher full of water in the pot and drained it. I couldn't stop her. I had not watered the plant for the two weeks I had it, because I was told to water it only every three weeks. From what I had investigated on the internet, I suspected there was a problem with the light, so I moved the plant first outside, and then next to a north facing window. Leaves now continue to fall off, but they are not fresh and green, they are withered and brown. Now what really concerns me it that while I was moving it, it seems to have split in two places, at the base where the trunk splits into two and higher up on one of the trunks. Last night I heard a loud crash and one huge branch just completely fell off. I am very worried to say the least. I'm planning on repotting and when I went to the Asian nursery that sold it to my boyfriend with pictures the only advice I received was to stop watering. I'm worried that it is rot. What should I do? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

The branch that snapped off certainly looks like it might be rotten, is it squishy at all? And how about the base of the trunk, is that squishy?

If it does have rot, you should be able to save the plant by taking cuttings, Jade is really easy to root from cuttings. I'm not sure the best way to do this but someone else on the forum surely will....I do know you're not supposed put them in water though!

3. marjaleena

marjaleena Member

I find that underwatering can make the leaves dry up and fall. My jades get a lot of morning light and heat in the summer so they need water about once a week. And yes, cuttings are very easy to do, just stick them in soil. Potting soil with some coarse sand works for me.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

5. Luna7783

Luna7783 Member

ok, Im about to cut out the rot on the branch that fell off and what is left on the tree, but what about at the bottom of the tree there the trunk breaks into two? It is quite mushy. should I dig into there as well? thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!!