winterizing a container garden

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by tivel08, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Hi
    I have a container garden in a North East facing uncovered patio in Vancouver, BC. How can I winterize it save my perinnials. I have azaelias and Clematis's that I defnitely want to save along with Dalphiniums. The constant rain is what is worryng me the most.

Please help!

2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

The biggest problem you will have is drainage and air exchange in the containers. Your planting mix should be well draining and if you are at all concerned it may not be then I would suggest you put the containers in a well sheltered area so as to minimize their exposure to the Lower Mainland's winter rains.

3. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Thanks for that. Thereisn't a covered area on our patio. Should I somehow cover the container with burlap?
    thanks for your help

4. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't think a single layer of burlap will give you the protection you're looking for, I rather think the rain water will still make it's way quite readily through it. Then again, I have absolutely no personal experience with the stuff, I'm only speculating. I'd almost be inclined to find a way to tie some umbrellas over each pot, even if at an angle. That'll keep the water off and have plenty of air flow. A patio umbrella may prove to be large enough to cover them all....

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can you use a strong clear builders plastic over some sort of frame. Wish we could get some of your winter rain.

Liz

6. tivel08

tivel08 Member

thanks guys....

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Clematis and azaleas are grown everywhere, and I have never heard of one dying or even being damaged (except if a heavy snow fall causes an azalea to split because of the weight) over the winter, here in Vancouver. As far as I know delphiniums too will be happy over the winter. Does the fact that they are in pots actually make them that much more at risk?

8. tivel08

tivel08 Member

I am worried about the rain. Root rot would easily kill any plant if the drainage isn't right....

9. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Are the holes in the bottoms of the containers not adequate?