small apple tree with big problems

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Jonquil, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Jonquil

Jonquil Member

I inherited a small apple tree with my new house. its approximately 10ft tall and just as wide. last year we got a small crop of the best apples they were huge bigger than anything in the stores. then last fall a storm blew our tree down, splintering our tree at the base. rather than cutting it down we staked it and this year im happy to say it healed itself rather niceley. i tell of this only to speak of its current condition. this year we have easily hundreds of apples on this little tree. the problem is that they are very small still and already turning red. and they are covered in spots.the area i live in is also very wet in general and populates many insects. in my garden i found evidence of a white powdery substance on my zuccinni plants.since i am relitively new to gardening and fruit trees in general( i also have a cherry tree next to apple tree, cooking cherries, i had a huge crop last year and almost nothing this year) as you can tell i need all the help i can get. first i have no idea what kind of apple this is and have no idea how to go about identifying it. second, what do i do about my tree? what is making it sick and how do i treat it? please if anyone has some insight it would be most wonderful.

Attached Files:

2. Applenut

Applenut Active Member

Ah, a pathologist's dream. The leaves look a bit like Cedar Apple Rust, but combined with the apples I'd say scab. Those from a soggier climate than mine may want to chime in.

Applenut
    Southern California zone 10a