Moss propagation -- drying collected moss?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by mitsumeru, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mitsumeru

mitsumeru Member

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know if it's possible to collect moss from the wild, and then dry it and use it later to grow new moss? Otherwise, is there any way to do this, other than directly planting patches of live moss into new environments?

I ask because I was hoping to collect some moss while travelling, but I don't think it will be viable to carry around lots of live moss for the duration of my trip.

Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mostly, no - usually moss is killed by drying. A few species will survive temporary drying for short periods though.

3. mitsumeru

mitsumeru Member

Thanks, Michael.

Is there any way, then, to collect and transport moss (or moss spores) besides keeping it as whole, live clumps?

I wasn't ablle to find any mailorder sources for different kinds of moss or spores, which is part of why I'm asking.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. mitsumeru

mitsumeru Member

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you wish to use the moss collected on your travels in floral arrangements, or as a base covering, when you return home, you can collect moss and let it dry during your trip. Pack it well so that it does not get damaged. Upon returning home make a 40 percent glycerin 60 percent water solution. Heat the solution to between 160 to 180F and soak the moss for a half hour. This will preserve the moss, which will remain soft and natural, for many years. By adding a green food dye to the glycerin/water mix the moss will retain its natural color. You can also add any other dye you wish if you would desire a burgundy, emerald, brown, orange moss or any other color you desire. We do this commercially - it works well. - Millet (1,262-)

7. mitsumeru

mitsumeru Member

Thanks for the idea, Millet. Unfortunately though, I was hoping to actually grow the moss, not just preserve it as a dried arrangement. But thanks for your reply...

8. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

You wouldn't need to carry around lots of moss. A small sample of each type you want to collect should be okay. Once you get home, if the moss is happy in its new growing environment, it will spread quickly enough.

You could stick the pieces of moss into re-sealable plastic bags (like Ziplock sandwich bags) along with perhaps a moistened paper towel. Leave some air trapped in the bag, which will have the extra benefit of providing a "pillow" effect to keep the moss from getting crushed. This will keep them alive for quite a while.

I don't know what sort of complications might arise with Customs over this. Perhaps you could mail it to yourself before returning home?

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It would be prohibited for transport across international borders (including mailing). Within Canada, you'd probably be OK.

10. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

And I should think there are enough different varieties of moss within Canada to satisfy anyone.

11. mitsumeru

mitsumeru Member

All good points. Thanks everyone! :)