JM that can stand full sun exposure ?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Andre, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I know that Seiryu and Osakasuki can stand full sun without too much problems.

What other JM cultivars do you know for full sun ?

2. Keeb's

Keeb's Active Member

How hot does it get in France?

3. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It depends where in France but the average summer temperature in Paris is about 25° Celsius (that's about 80° F).

4. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I have mature Shaina, Moonfire, Red Pygmy, Boskoop Glory, Fireglow in full sun. All 5 are red maples, and all 5 are in pots/half wine barrells. I have 2 mature SEIRYU's also
    in pots in full sun. These plants are years old and been in the full sun all their lives.
    They do have some trunk sun scald but I have many many maples in a yard less than
    1/2 acre so beggars like me cannot be choosers. My temps have been in the mid 80's to 90 degrees for the last week and we get several days a year 100 and over. I have
    found that fortunately the trees have not read the experts' books and if I am reasonable and watchful and keep them well watered I can push the envelope some
    to fit my passion into a limited yard. Bon chance!

5. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

I have an Okushimo, a Baby Lace, and two Shishigashiras in full sun (in North Carolina) that are doing fine. I suspect the Baby Lace would be happier in a bit more shade, but it's hanging in there.
    I see so many discrepancies between various sources' directions as to where to plant a given cultivar that I'm often perplexed ... I'm coming to the conclusion that many maples will adapt to a fairly wide range of sunlight if they're introduced to it gradually and they have adequate water and decent drainage. How they live in those different conditions may vary though; I moved a Fireglow from a mostly shaded area where it was green most of the year, to a much sunnier location where it's carrying its beautiful crimson color well into July.

6. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Andre,

Depending on humidity and wind situation, those being negative factors, most any maple would seemingly do fine in your locale. You might consider some protection for more sensitive leaved forms, but I suspect even those could handle sun well past mid-day.

7. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

A cautionary note: I've never been to Paris. BUT, the soil in the vicinity of Toulouse is heavy with clay. A recommendation would be to find a source of information at a local or regional college or university with a horticulture department, to gather suggestions for "best practise" in your endevors. As a minimum, I would think you would wish to heavily ammend your soil with decayed leaves, preferrably oak, to enable the roots to have an environmant in keeping with the area to which they (the trees) might be indigenous.

8. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The green leaf form of Chitose yama and Shishigashira: i have these two in pots in long afternoon sun - not a sign of leaf burn, even in July during the heat wave.

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is always an interesting question.

My Okagami started its life on a Paris balcony, facing north. When it moved here into full sun, there was some serious dieback -- though perhaps due to getting acclimatized and somewhat harder winter conditions (wind) than anything else. Now this tree is the best of my palmatums in the sun, showing no burning even this year.

Osakazuki, Chitose yama, Shishi gashira, Mirte are all handling full sun well here. I have a couple of Sango kakus in full exposure also but they are looking a bit ragged. I'm told that Eddisbury handles sun well, and I'll probably try one this fall.

I am particulary interested in which green forms do well in full sun.

-E

10. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

could u guys kindly post a photo of your matured maple here please? especially seiryu. i like to know what it looks like when it reaches maturity.

thanks u.

oh btw how hot is hot?

in australia, the summer can reach to 35 degree celius. moving to the shady area doesn't help much as the leaves turn brown.