What is this interesting plant? (photo)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by GreenLeaf, Jul 10, 2005.

1. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

I found this plant hidden behind another plant in the same pot. I have no idea what it is. It has a thickened "root" like a yam, and its size is about a little longer than a finger. There is one growing stem, one dead stem, and many little buds that probably can grow into stems. It already has lots of roots. Here are some photos:

Mystery Plant

Thank you very much for any ideas/guesses/help. It's the only nameless plant in my collection so I'm eager to find out what it is.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Too soon for me to guess, but maybe when it leafs out a bit.

3. maremosso

maremosso Member

Hydrengea?

4. GreenLeaf

Please help ID this mystery plant! (photos)

Hi everyone!

I have this unknown plant that has a thickened underground root and a shoot coming out from the upper tip of the root. It has finally leafed out! The leaves are not hairy or scented. The shoot is about 4 inches tall. Here are some pictures:

Mystery Plant

Mystery plant (another pic)

Here is the plant early this month. You can see the root and the shoot (which was pretty small back then).

Mystery Plant (previous picture)
    Thanks for any help!

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Please help ID this mystery plant! (photos)

GreenLeaf, can you tell us anything about where the plant comes from?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Please help ID this mystery plant! (photos)

You may have to wait until it is more advanced in growth before it clicks with anyone.

7. GreenLeaf

Help--need ID for the flower

The mystery plant now bloomed. The flowers are white, really tiny (pea-sized), and in a great number. I thought with flowers it'll be easier to ID it.

Here's the flower: Mystery Plant Flower

The plant:

Mystery Plant

Root (pic taken a while ago before the plant leafed out). Thick tap root or something.
    Plant Root

Thank you for looking! And thanks so much in advance for any guesses/ideas/hints.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Merged the three threads together, this way people who subscribe to the threads can be updated of new posts on the topic + if / when it gets resolved, all threads will have "answers".

My suggestion is Phytolacca americana, or pokeweed, a plant that typically likes to "pop up" in gardens. Search the forums for "pokeweed" for more info.

9. GreenLeaf

Oh, thanks so much, it's a pokeweed. But it's a weed, should I dispose of it?

I never knew it was a weed, lol, I happened to receive a potted houseplant from someone and when I repotted the houseplant I discovered this root hidden underneath the soil and its leaves barely visible. I knew it definitely did not belong to the houseplant in any way at all, so I removed the root and planted it. And got really curious about what it was. Now that I know, not a mystery anymore! :)

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hard to say - read the accompanying commentary on these photographs: American pokeweed. I suppose it depends on where you live in the US (re: weediness, invasiveness) which you may have to do some extra legwork on. If it is suitable to your area (i.e., it behaves well), then the question becomes whether you find the plant interesting / attractive enough to not toss it.

11. thewinkle2003

thewinkle2003 Member

Hmmm, is pokeweed the same as poke salad? it looks like it. My mother loves to fry it up with eggs if it is. She says it has to be boiled down before cooking though because it can be poisonous. i never have eaten the stuff, but the rest of my family love it. It grows like crazy in Oklahoma.

12. Daniel Mosquin

You might like to share this article with your family: Don't Eat Poke Salad from the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service.

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Where on earth do they get the idea that Pokeweed is "probably the best known and most widely used wild vegetable in .... Europe"???

I'd say it is almost totally unknown as a vegetable in Europe.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Heh, I didn't even notice that. That's quite funny, actually.

Well, that brings the rest of the information under the microscope.