Baby Blue Atlas Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by digger714, Jul 30, 2009.

1. digger714

digger714 Member

My name is Brad. I just purchased a small blue atlas cedar about 3 weeks ago. It is only about 10 inches tall, and the trunk is only 1/4" or a little bigger. Anyway i kept it in a pot for a couple weeks, kinda in the shade, with about 1 - 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. I have just put it in the ground on the 22nd of july. Yesterday, the
    29th i noticed some of the needles falling off, and others were turning brown. Is there a shock period after replanting that causes this, or is the tree in trouble. i havent used any fertilizer. It has rained every afternoon for about 5 - 6 days, im in North Carolina. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have another one planted about 20 feet away that is doing great. It is about 6' tall, and was a 3 gallon plant when purchased, instead of a baby.

Thanks
    Brad

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly roots got cooked before planting, even though it was shaded most of the day. Or maybe another problem was developing before planting that happened to manifest soon after planting. Timing would suggest it had something to do with summer heat. Otherwise, if it has been wet for awhile maybe it's a leaf fungus.

3. digger714

digger714 Member

Ron, thanks for the info

Brad

4. digger714

digger714 Member

is there anything i can do to help the tree? Repot? or leave it in ground to see if lives?

Brad