looks like an iris, but not

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bedixon, Jul 30, 2009.

1. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

here's pics of a neglected "pond"... actually an old bathtub someone put there years ago which is now overgrown with blackberries and vinca etc. It retains water enough to sustain this plant, but there's not a lot down there, it's more like a layer of muck; so I'm not sure if this plant is actually a water growing plant, or if it's just doing well in this incredible heat because it's one of the few places that hasn't dried out. I always thought it was an iris until I saw the buds, which look more lily-like. I suppose if the deer don't get in there I might see what develops, but I was hoping someone might identify this for me... many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. gilnv

gilnv Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure but I am guessing that deer won't eat it if it's wild iris.
    Maybe someone can mention if any of their iris plants have ever been munched on by animals but I think that iris tends to cause a burning feeling on the throat.
    Gil

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably Iris pseudacorus, a pest species in North America.

4. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I have plenty of iris that the deer have munched on... they like the flower buds just before they bloom, and the leaves get gobbled too, they leave behind ugly iris "stumps". They also ate my tomato plants, which are supposed to be poisonous, go figure. What they didn't bother with is fuzzy foliage of squash, pumpkins and gourds, which I had lying around as starts in pots and were never touched.
    I've looked up Iris pseudacorus to find that it's what I thought they were - flag iris which, in spite of their weed status, I'd be happy with. But the bud things that are forming sure don't look like any iris I've seen. I guess they're just different... anyway, they should be revealing themselves soon. Thanks for the help!

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Your "bud things" are seed capsules, they've already bloomed this year.

6. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

Definatly an Iris
    These are the pods of the I.psudocorus growing here, they flower were in may for us.

Attached Files:

7. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

duh... seed pods... right! (face feeling slightly hot) thanks for the enlightenment... I hadn't seen the blooms on these but obviously they've been and gone.

thanks, next spring I'll be watching for the REAL buds! (and keeping the deer away, wish me luck)

8. gilnv

gilnv Member

bedixon,
    Thanks for mentioning about the deer munching on certain parts of that Iris.
    When I was younger, I peeled back a sprout of probably Iris and nibbled on it just a little, thinking it was a cattail sprout that I've enjoyed many times.
    My throat burned much of that night, and that may explain why the deer left those little mounds of iris at your place.
    Gil

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010