: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I usually get them within a week, however, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did get lost in the mail. Did you send them with the cayenne seeds? If you did I've got them and just missed them in the seed box, but if not I have no clue where they are.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Remember when you joked and said I only sent you 3 purple cayenne seeds? I sent you more a second time, and the Goji seeds were in with them.

Don't count on them arriving every single time at the same time, because sometimes they can take longer. You should get them - I am not worried.

: )

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hey guess what?! I walked into my room and there was the envelope sitting on my bed. :D

I'm gonna start a few tomorrow for sure. ;)

4. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Hi Lorax,
    I don't have any seeds from the cranberries yet, I'm sure I can find them somewhere though. They are pretty popular here. I would LOVE Guava, Dwarf Limes and Mandarins. I'll find you some and get back to you asap =)

5. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Hi ShearMe,
    they just flood cranberries to make the harvest much easier. The little plants are great, they have little white flowers that turn in to white berries ande then red when they ripen. They are very easy to grow and look great. The berries are also very good for you. If I can't locate any seeds I can try sending you some cuttings ... do you think they would make it that far?
    Ryan

6. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Thank you very much HollyBerry Lady, this thread is great!!! My wife is getting concerned that we are running out of space for all the plants and trees I want ... I'm even thinking about giving away a couple plants to make room for new ones =)
    I'm interested in your coffee plants, do you have any seeds?

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Are you in British Columbia, Canada, Dwarf Fruit Guy?

8. The Hollyberry Lady

ShearMe:

Great that you got the seeds! Yes, sow some tomorrow, because the Goji seeds take about 10 days to sprout.

Enjoy.

9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Cuttings would do fine so long as you package them right, no idea how do do that with specific plants though. I'd say but some mossy or sandy soil around them and sprits it with a squirt bottle a few times then put it all in a plastic baggy.

I pm'd you

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cuttings won't make it to me, though - they'll get stopped at the post office and burned.

11. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

ion
    Hi Hollyberry,
    Yes I'm in BC, very close to Vancouver. We are in a heatwave right now, soooo hot. It was 41C this afternoon or about 107F ish. Not sure on the exact conversion. So far all the pkants and trees seem to be holding up well, better than me that's for sure.

12. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Thanks ShearMe,
    I'll try it. So do I put the entire cutting in the plastic bag or just the bottom part and seal it with an elastic band?

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Dwarf Fruit Guy:

What kind of blueberry do you have? Yes, I do have unroasted coffee beans, for peruvian and el salvadorian blends.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Depends on how big each cutting is and how thick the stem. The thicker the better for just putting the end in but if they are wee 4-5 cm just put the whole thing in the bag but try to keep just the end in the soil.

Don't sweat it so much because if a cutting is going to make it at all it'll survive through the mail. Also, if you have any rooting hormone it would really get them a good start, but no worries if you don't. ;)

15. SGCanada

SGCanada Member

Hollyberry lady - is this Clematis the right sort of colour? Will have more picks soon as the other buds burst out. As I am a very amateur gardner and will gain lots from this site am curious to know how do I get the seeds - mostly when to collect and how to store. Also posted a pic of our native orange honeysuckle (lonicera ciliosa) - it is now in seed so can collect these but thought it may be a wee bit too common? The hummingbirds just love this when in flower and I spend hours just watching them enjoy the vine.

Happy to post seeds to you gratis in returm for the knowledge I will gain here over time.

Attached Files:

16. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Lorax, our postman would'nt even accept them either. Its a dangerous practice, and rules are in place for a very good reason as you know, but for others who don't realise -- keeping disease down.

17. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Very pretty pictures SG

18. The Hollyberry Lady

SGCanada:

Don't think you can collect clematis seeds because they are hybrid, and hybrid seeds are not true to the parent plant, unfortunately. Nice clematis, though.

I would love some seeds for your honeysuckle, when you have some available. Let me know what you would like in exchange...

19. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Honeysuckle has a beautiful scent,

Glass of wine, good barbie, and Honeysuckle..mmm..

20. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my gosh, I would love something like that, Katalina! I am a complete 'seedaholic', and would just be in my glory there.

: O

22. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hmm..

I think its a brilliant idea, sort of like an Avon party lolol but with seeds.

It reminds me (scale) of our massive computer fairs here in Manchester.

That swap is very nicely organised too...and the seed pods too.

PS: I forgot. Look at some of their links too. I added some to my new forum.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Very cool, Katalina.

Here in London, we have plant and seed swaps organized through the Horticulture Society. It's quite a turn out, and you can get some great plants and seeds.

I love gardeners who share, and I love to share as well. So rewarding and fun, and leaves the greedy seed companies without any orders coming in!

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Prices of seed have opened my eyes this week,

Why buy when you have what you need courtesy of nature? Here in UK seeds are quite cheap at around £3..no more than..£5 but the latter is for a selection of seeds like the one I sent you in the large envelope - the wildflower.

We don't have seed swaps but we give each other seeds if we have them. Last week I got some Bluebell seeds which I have been waiting for them to swell.

i ordered my Violas this week...whoooooo...sweet!

25. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I started to harvest some of the seeds from my hot peppers.....and they(peppers) were pretty tasty too.