: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yup - Sunrise and Long Red, if I recall correctly. I might be able to get my grubby little paws on some Giant Gold as well, if you're interested.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Sounds huge! How big would this thing get?

: O

3. lorax

Giant Golds produce fruit up to 20 lbs each.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

OMG - I think I'll pass on that one, Lorax.

: O

5. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

That would be so cool if I had my greenhouse built. Lol! I love the way papaya trees look, they're so beautiful. =)

6. lorax

Yeah, the Sunrise is a 1 lb fruit, and the Long Red about 2 lbs - they're better potted papayas, IMHO.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

That's better for me - something that grows well in a pot

: )

8. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

Hm..is the waimanalo papaya good for container growing?? I'd love to keep a papaya in a container, but not if it wont be happy or healthy.

9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Try buying some for your garden that you'd like to plant yourself and then you can trade the seeds you don't use! That's how I got my flowers in the list, and HBL jumped on the ball and asked for 6 of the 8 seeds I bought! You can even walk around the neighborhood and look for seeds on trees that hang over fences, and ask politely for any seeds you might happen to spot in landscaping, just be sure you're not stealing. :P

I found this "pom-pom" tree with seed pods the other day, and no one lives in that house; yay for me! Not at all what they are called, but I'll take a pick and get it ID'd later.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the 3rd page! pretend like this came right after the 2nd, k?

10. lorax

I have amended my list, folks - I now have Guavas, Naranjillas, and perhaps Babaco!

I say perhaps on the last one, because as far as I know they're a sport - the plants aren't supposed to be fertile. However, I do have seeds from one I peeled yesterday, and I have no idea of the pollen parent, so they're going to be a surprise if they sprout. I'm hoping for a Chambaco (Chamburo/Babaco cross).

11. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I updated with other vinca colors and peonies here.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Isn't all this seed trading, a wonderful thing?!!! A great way to expand your collection - not to mention an excellent way to boycott these greedy seed companies! I love sharing them and started out with just friends and family 6 years ago, so when I got a computer and joined these gardening forums, I was in my absolute glory!

My mom thinks it's insane - all these seeds. She thinks I should just stop trading for now, and enjoy what I have. A gardener is never satisfied and they always want more - she just doesn't understand. She's always saying 'what are you gonna do with all these seeds'?!!!

She does love my plants though, and I grow her whatever she likes. I always tell her how lucky she is to have her own personal, private gardener, to grow her whatever her heart's desire! This year, she wants tons of Cayenne pepper, so I made sure she'll be happy. I have 2 red Cayenne and 2 purple Cayenne as well.

Lorax:

I still gotta figure out what the heck these are...

"Naranjillas, and perhaps Babaco!"

...before I can let you know if I want them! You sound awfully excited about them, so I am sure they're wonderful.

ShearMe:

Vinca's are gorgeous flowers no matter what the color! I love them - so looking forward to growing some. Your cuttings are so cool. I may have to include a few cuttings for you too, next time I mail to ya.

13. lorax

Naranjillas, also called Lulo, are Solanum quitoense. They're a uniquely Ecuadorean/Colombian thing, used for juicing or eating fresh, but mostly juicing. Ecuador grows over 5000 hectares of them in the Pastaza Province, and close to 10,000 hectares in the cloudforest belt of Pichincha and Santo Domingo provinces. The plant develops giant, furry, scalloped leaves (think holly-shaped leaves and you're on the right track) with purple edges and veins, and spines on the main vein. Then, if you've got the right photoperiod for a couple of weeks (12 hours light, 12 dark) they'll bloom with tiny white flowers along the main stem, and later come the golfball-sized fruits covered in loose, prickly fur. Those ripen to orange, at which point you pick 'em with a hankie and rub off the fuzz. They're uniquely adapted to diffuse light and fairly high humidity.

The photos show a mature, 5 or 6-year old plant; they fruit in their first year and just continue if you tend them well. One of my favourite wierd solanums, truth be known.

--

Babaco (Vasconcella pentagona or formerly Carica pentagona) are an Ecuador-only natural hybrid between mountain papayas and chamburo (another hardy papaya) - they're a cold-hardy tree with deeply palmate leaves, and they produce long, 5-sided fruits. The name literally means "slime fruit" and that is from the foamy stuff in the center that you scoop out before juicing them. Babaco can also be used in pies and crisps, the same way that apples are. I don't have my own pic of these, since they're something I buy at market rather than grow, but Google knows what they look like!

Attached Files:

14. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

I think I saw some of those at the local Fred Meyer. I thought they were just deformed papaya! =O How exciting. Maybe I'll go collect one up and save the seeds from it.

15. lorax

Yeah, the thing is they're not supposed to have seeds - they're a sport hybrid!

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

The cool part is when the single stalk gets tall and you prune it down; the little buds forming at each leaf node is just fascinating to watch - one day they are no where to be seen, the next they magically appear!

Google knows all! Lucky you down there with all those tasty tropical goodies at your fingertips.

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow, ShearMe - sounds exciting. Looking forward to watching the cuttings grow.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I just collected seeds from my pink Cyclamen today, and added them to my 'Have' list.

The 2nd shot shows the very seed pod I extracted the seeds from!...

Attached Files:

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats so pretty Sherry, well done.

20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh, I'm jealous already.

21. The Hollyberry Lady

There are more seed pods developing, and I will collect the seeds from everyone of them. It's the first time I've done this with cyclamen, but very easy.

Be sure to remind me for next time, when we trade again, and I'll share them with both of you. Please, don't count on me for remembering though.

Glad you guys like them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  22. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

Hm...I'll join in.
    Seeds I have:
    Red and yellow bell peppers
    Winter squash
    Some jalapeno seeds (I think, they look a little sad. =( )
    Peas of several varieties
    Japanese Chili Peppers (though i'm not positive if they're viable, I'll have to find out)
    Yellow cherry tomatoes
    Wild cherry
    Salal
    Oregon grape
    Thimbleberry
    Blackberry
    Huckleberry
    Cotton wood
    Filbert

Cuttings I can take: (in limited quantities, my plants are mostly young still)
    Pomegranate (punica granatum)
    Washington Navel Orange
    Meyer Lemon
    Various Japanese Maples (only when I visit my Dad's house)
    Contorted Filbert (is this cutting-able? o.o again, only when I visit my Dad's, as they're there)
    MINT! (Pineapple, orange, morrocan, spear, pepper) Everybody has mint though
    Rainier cherry
    Bing cherry
    Wild cherry (I think they're pie cherries, we have a huge tree in my backyard)
    Salal
    Oregon grape
    Thimbleberry
    Blackberry
    Huckleberry
    Cotton wood!!!! AH, its madness around here in spring. (Think Kokori forest ((Zelda)))

Seeds I'm interested in:
    Passion flower! =) They're fascinating (prefferably the kind that fruit, like "maypop")
    Any unusual edible (ask if you have something you're not sure about)
    Miracle fruit (Synsepalum Dulcificum)(Of course. =3)

Cuttings I'm interested in:
    Again, any unusual edible.

I'll probably update this quite often. Oh, and most of the things I can get cuttings of I can get seeds from. =) Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  23. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats a pretty good list too BitterSweet.

24. The Hollyberry Lady

It is a good list - I want some bing cherries.

I just added 'magic carpet mixed' snapdragons to my list.

25. Dwarf Fruit Guy

Dwarf Fruit Guy Member

Hello everybody,
    I'm just starting out but I thought I would share what I have incase anybody is interested. The cuttings are limited as some of my plants are new but as they grow I'll be more than happy to share what I have.
    Improved Meyer Lemon
    Cocktail Grapefruit (Dwarf rootstock)
    Kiyomi Tangor (Dwarf rootstock)
    I'm unsure how cuttings will do coming from the dwarf rootstock but I'm willing to try if you are =)
    Ground Cherry
    Cranberry
    Blueberry
    Rainier Cherry
    Oriental Pears
    Black Prince Hierloom Tomato

My wife has the following flower seeds as well:
    Giant Sungold Sunflower
    Robinson Giant - Pyrethrum
    Shasta Daisy - Chrysanthemum
    Chabaud Giant Mix - Carnation
    Chinese Double Mix - Dianthus
    Powderpuff Bouquet - Aster
    Livingstone Daisy

I'm looking for:
    Anything I can grow in containers that is edible. The more exotic the better =)
    Mangos
    Dwarf Limes, oranges and other citrus
    Guava
    Anything along these lines I'm sure I would love.
    Thanks everybody.