Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Lol, Liz! If any American's dog attacked a human it gets put on the news and suddenly everyone hates the dog's owner no matter the reason of assault.

Thanks PennyG.

Greerish, tembarrassing pictures are the ones that show our true color and satisfy our occasional need for humility.

Yes, HBl, soap usually does wonders, but in the case of the hydroponics system, they were difficult to remove. I couldn't exactly pour dishsoap into my nuitrient reservoir... who knows what elements would get locked out or what would happen to the PH! The soap kept down the fungus before I understood the problem, now everything should be a-ok.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lol, Liz! If any American's dog attacked a human it gets put on the news and suddenly everyone hates the dog's owner no matter the reason of assault.

NO NO they don't attack unless some one tries it on me or my animals. We are their flock. What they were doing was warning the predator off (builder). Problem is not much misses their hearing and eye sight. Fairly lazy huge dogs unless it is important they don't bother getting up.

Liz

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh, wasn't saying they have attacked the builders. :\

What kind of dogs are they? I have a mini Australian Sheppard to round up the mini sheep I don't have. :D

Attached Files:

4. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

she's a lurcher, so a mongrel thats mostly whipit or greyhound and very lazy lol she's about 14yo liz not quite a bup but compleatly insane.
    ok i'll post a couple and you'll see what i mean
    1 me strapped to the inside of an infatable ball
    2 me climbing
    i shouldnt really mind the photos are online anyway

Attached Files:

5. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

maybe the shep it rounds up are invisable ShearMe?
    We used to have another lurcher that anytime someone walked past the fence she'd go running up the garden and jump, you'd just see her head and sholders appear over the top I'm sure it came as a shock to people. I was sure she'd get over the top sometime.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yeah, yeah, excuses excuses - I still say they're just chickens!

: O

Thanks, Penny - I assume you're referring to my White Swan coneflowers? Yes, they are so nice, I love them. Phil had sent me seeds for a white variety as well, but it's called 'Alba'. I wonder if it's the same as this White Swan type I now have.

Anyway, I am working on sprouting seeds for the Alba type, now. So we'll see soon enough. I love it that they are perennial.

* I am wondering what people think of something I just noticed this morning - especially Liz...

I was skimming the top of my outdoor container pond, and noticed 8 little tadpoles, swimming around in the water!!! What will happen - will they help to keep the pond clean at all? Will they continue to live in the pond when they turn into frogs? How adorable. There was a cute little frog out front, that I saw a bunch of times - this must be the one that laid the eggs.

What's your take on this - anyone? Should I leave them or remove them. My vote, is leave them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  7. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow, Greerish, you look great! What the heck were you so worried about? You're a fine looking lad, and very athletic too.

Nice shots, ShearMe.

: )

8. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear Hbl, did you look deep into your pond, around the stems of the plant? Because 8 is far too little for a frog laying eggs. Some where in your pond there should be a loong chain of eggs.
    If they survive, after 60-90 days, as soon as they have their behind legs, they will start jumping around:))
    DSC02850.JPG

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow, is that Nelumbo in the pic, Tugo? It's so red! It looks cool.

Yes, there must be more tadpoles - I will check. Will they leave the container pond when they're frogs, or will they live there? Do you think I should get rid of them, Tugo? Will they eat my Nelumbo?

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

11. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

lol thanks Sherry, i still kina dislike pics of myself dunno why
    I havnt heard of a frog eating lotus' they tend to be carnivorus i think, they could always be toads or newts. I vote keep them, I love seeing the frogs and newts in the pond here.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

I was researching this morning and read that the tadpoles can be fed frozen pieces of lettuce!

By freezing the leaves it breaks down the lettuce and allows the tadpoles to ingest it. Apparently they do in fact eat algae! Yippeeeeeeee. I must provide some kind of a ledge for them to rest on when they develop legs.

This is so cool and unexpected, to have these little creatures swimming in my pond. I can't wait to feed them the frozen lettuce in an hour. I saw a picture of them eating some in someone's container pond as well. I think it's terrific they're here. I like them. I used to play with tadpoles when I was little.

They're just tiny little black things, but I'll try to get a shot of them within a couple of weeks. So cute, really. I hope they'll make it in there. We'll see...

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Greerish - try not to be self-conscious because you look great, really.

14. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

HbL, the tadpoles might be incentive to expand your pond if there gets to be too many in there and not enough room ;-)

From what I remember learning about tadpoles, they'll mostly eat algae. Maybe later on they'll start eating floating bugs as well. Keep 'em :D

15. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear HbL, wish my lotus leaves were so mature. They are the leaves of my water lilies.
    Well, each year I have several times frogs laying eggs and get thousands of tadpoles and my koi are waiting for them. I believe only several of the can get mature and leave the pond.
    Them eating leaves, did not notice. But as I know there are different types of frogs and mine are called "tree frogs" that cannot stay long in water and visit the pond only to lay eggs. Some other types stay/live in water. Mine also "sings":)) only at nights and till they lay their eggs, but in some hundred meters away, in another garden, there is some other type, sings and shrines 24 hours:))

They look very lovely to me.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

It should be quite interesting to see how this plays out, with these tadpoles, that's for sure. I am so excited to watch them grow, along with my Nelumbo.

Who would have thought I would be raising tadpoles!

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you for the information, Tugo. How interesting!

18. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd say keep the gollywoggles too, Sherry - they're not doing any harm and they do eat insect larvae. Plus, there's really nothing neater than frogsong at twilight, which you'll get when they mature. Besides, frogs are having a hard enough time in Canada - better to encourage them if they want to grow in your Nelumbo pond, IMHO.

19. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

Keep the little wagglers! I love frogs, they keep down the bugs and like Lorax says, there's nothing quite like listening to them sing at sunset. I believe they eat algae, but otherwise no plant matter.

It's great to get a look at everyone here. =)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  20. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re taddies this is good. I set my pond up to encourage them as frogs are the canary of the world and apparently they are having a hard time here too.

Re the pics. So many spring chickens that like gardening. this is great . There is hope for the futer if you can all share good ideas that are viable and hopefully organic as opposed to chemical alternatives. \\my generation has done enough of that already.

Liz

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  21. The Hollyberry Lady

Yup - I am all for 'organic' gardening, and encourage natural solutions.

Ok well, I will for sure keep the little Pollywogs, and raise them up to be frogs. Then, I can release them by the stream bank I live near. It will sure be fun to watch them and help them along.

I fed them a piece of frozen lettuce tonight, and they went right for it! I guess it was true. I am going to feed them fresh lettuce every day. It looks like algae floating in the water, and it is broken down like shreds from being frozen and then hitting water. They love it! How neat that this all happened totally unexpectedly...

"Happiness is being surprised by God"

Attached Files:

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Good quote HBL, all this talk of tadpoles makes me want to go catch some in the creek...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

I am sure enjoying them too - they remind me of my childhood when we used to play with them.

24. Nath

Nath Active Member

HBL, I have Fogs in my garden and have to be careful when cutting the grass. I was at a friends house last week for a Barbeque and he has a large pond with lots of very expensive Koi. I noticed that this time there werent so many Koi as normal and he told me that the frogs had been attacking his fish or they may have been toads he didint know anyway at a £1000 per fish he had to get a company in to remove the frogs and relocate them elsewhere. I had never heard of them attacking fish before and especially something as big as a Koi. Has anyone else?? It can only have been the frogs too as he has a net over the whole pond to prevent the herons having an expensive breakfast.

25. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

wow. I have heard that frogs and fish compete but thought it was frogs ate the young fish and fish ate the tadpoles didnt think a frog could kill a koi!
    Maybe they're giant mutant frogs?