Ground cover lawn grass substitute

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by fknor, Jul 6, 2005.

1. fknor

fknor Member

I am interested in using ground cover instead of a grass lawn for a number of reasons. I am considering Thymus serpyllum 'Pink Chintz" and would appreciate comments on this. I live in Kelowna on a sunny mountain side. Soil here is heavy clay hardpan and not very good. It is nearly impossible to cultivate. I plan to add about 6 inches of good topsoil as a growing medium and have proper water sprinkling system. Sadly this topsoil or other medium, such as sand, is nearly impossible to cultivate into the subsoil hardpan. I am almost certain that regular lawn sod planted on this hardpan with only 6 inches of soil will not survive for long. Does use of this ground cover as an alternative have a chance? Your comments much appreciated.

2. maremosso

maremosso Member

Thymus did not do well in my clay soil garden in Delhi, India.
    But then I seeded it with Dychondra, with amazing results - it never needed mowing and it was the most beatiful, even shade of green.

3. violet51

violet51 Member

Ajuga works anywhere! I have red clay & it grows like crazy. It does draw bees when in bloom....June.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

fknor sent me this reply via email:

Attached Files: