General: light effects on roots.

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by mctc, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mctc

mctc Member

Does anyone know if light will stop roots from growing well in hydroponic plants? I am growing some mint indoors in wine bottles but am curious if the clear bottle is bad for the roots. Might have to do an experiment.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Growing Hydroponically seems complicated and to a degree it does require the grower to go through an education process for successful growing. This process can be simplified if we recognize and address the seven limiting factors for good growth. They are water, food, light, temperature, humidity, circulation and CO2 control.

3. mctc

mctc Member

4. mctc

mctc Member

ok.... so I put three mint cuttings in two glasses and covered one with a dark plastic bag.
    My thought: the one in the dark bag will grow more roots because it simulates being underground.
    The reality: the opposite. day three is today and the one in the light is growing roots like crazy.
    The explanation: uh you should help with this.

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Plants always go for the light,

Its the reason we need to turn our cutting round or they would grow spindly and all stalk. Seeds do like the dark till germination then we lift off the dark covers.