Dendrobium Orchid I.D. Please?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by terrylee1, Mar 8, 2009.

1. terrylee1

terrylee1 Member

This my first post...and I now know I have retired...playing lots of golf and taken a serious interest in Orchids!

I have rescued the orchid in the attached picture from the garden of a house we own in Florida along with six other orchids that have survived with no attention at all for over 10 years! Now it is full of white flowers tipped with light purple and has a white lip with yellow tip. Quite spectacular. I thought it might be a Den. farmeri...but the flowers are not coming from a stem but directly from shoots from multiple pseudobulbs. Does anyone know what it could be?

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sobralia or Cattleya come to mind. I'd say it's more likely to be a Cattleya, given that Sobralia is regarded as a weed species and not sold to market.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Golly, it's gorgeous.

4. Walrus of Oz

Walrus of Oz Member

A beautiful orchid indeed. In my opinion it is definitley a soft-cane dendrobium, possibly a Yamamoto hybrid. An internet search for these terms might be enlightening. Hope I've helped.

5. terrylee1

terrylee1 Member

Thanks Walrus! I have found a couple of pictures from searching as you suggeseted and it does look as if I have a Yamamato. I have actually been away from my Florida home for the last couple of months and I am anxious to get back and see how my orchid family has made out without a lot of attention!

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

You have a nobile type Dendrobium. Yamamoto is just a breeding line giving it that name, but to get more info on your plant, look up nobile type Dendrobium.