Identification: Dieffenbachia question

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lilypad, Jul 14, 2005.

1. lilypad

lilypad Member

Does anybody know if it's possibly to mist a Dieffenbachia too much? I have tried to provide regular (twice a day) misting to all my plants. All others look fine with this treatment but in my Dieffenbachia there are some slight changes to the leaves. I have noticed two small transparent patches appearing on two separate leaves. It looks like the leaf has "worn off" or the colour has gone to leave a semi-transparent look to the affected area. The spots are about the size of my thumb (smallish). There are currently only two affected leaves but I am wondering about the misting. Am I doing too much of it OR should I not use tap water. I do let my tap water stand in a canister for hours before watering plants but the misting comes straight from tap to bottle an onto plants.

Grateful for help.

Lilypad

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

you could let it stand ..but i dont think it really matters and they love to b misted they r more a tropical plant then your average houseplant .. ya might want to look for bugs .. when u mist it see if u can see a webbing on the leaves .. they r notorious for spider mites .. i threw mine out cause the mites kept comeing back and i had way more important plants to worry about then that one .. if ya have mite you can spray with a mite spray .. also mayb burn holes if it gets direct sunlight and it is to hot .. if it is right up against a window .. mayb also move it back from the window a bit if it's to close ..

good luck

Marn

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

It sounds like a type of fungal or bacterial disease. Tropical foliage plants are susceptible to various fungal pathogens including alternaria, botrytis, cephalosporium, dactylaria, and phytophthora. Bacterial pathogens include erwinia, xanthomonas, and pseuodomonas. Dieffenbachias can be affected by any of these diseases. A clear photograph would help identify which one it is. I would suggest that you not allow water from misting to pool on the leaf, they like high humidity but water sitting on the leaf can lead to a host of problems.(pun intended) Joe

4. lilypad

lilypad Member

Thank you for both answers. I don't think there are any red spider mites on this one. There were some bugs on it before and I misted it once with this special houseplant bug spray. It is possible that it has affected the leaves a bit. The plant is also away from direct sunlight.

I can also try to take a picture of the leaves with these marks on them. However, my digital camera being the quality it is, I cannot guarantee a clear enough photo. But, I am greatful for any diagnoses from the fuzzy picture.

Lilypad

5. Marn

that would b great if u can get a pic ... and also spider mites are not just red they are white . u can barely see them .. usually the way u can tell u have mites is with the webbing ..

Marn

6. lilypad

lilypad Member

Here are two photos. Unfortunately the one with the largest glassy transparent spot did not come out well. These two display pale beige blotches on the edges of the leaves and one slightly glassy brownish spot.

There's definitely no red spider mite on this one. No webbing at all.

Lilypad

Attached Files:

7. Marn

well from what i tried to find .. it might be from the way u water it if u water it over head and in the same spot all the time ..and the water drips on it . or if u have like an air conditioner overhead ... and also if u keep your place really kool ..they like warm temps . chek these posibilities out and see if that might b it ..

hope it helps.. good luck

Marn