Identification: some mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by carma, Jun 29, 2009.

1. carma

carma Member

hello, here are some unknown mushrooms

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

#2 could be Pluteus cervinus but I'd need a spore print to confirm that.

#1 is likely in the Coprinus family.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Were the mushrooms in 3# growing in the same area as the ones in 2#? I'm not sure on the Pluteus cervinus...ours grow very large and darker brown caps with thicker stems. Can you get spore prints by any chance?
    1# definately a Coprinis fungi...did u notice any orange 'hair' or 'moss' growing with them?
    Possibly either the Orange Mat Coprinis (Coprinus radians) if the orange fur is present or Mica Cap Coprinis (Coprinus micaceus)...

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

#3 could be a plethora of things. A spore print would help narrow the long list down to a few good candidates. Also, a close look and picture of the base of this one (about 1 inch under the surface of the ground) could help nail down the genus as well.

5. carma

carma Member

hello number 2 and 3 were not close. number 3 was further up on the mouintain, thanks.

Attached Files:

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

#1 is I think, coprinus atramentarius. I grew some acidentally at home"

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=48912
    There's not really enough information for reliable IDs but in your second set, a few guesses:

#1 ganoderma, probably applanatum
    #2 a pholiota ? nameko perhaps ?
    #6 Stropharia rugosa annulata ?
    #8 a beautiful cluster of ganoderma, perhaps reishi, ganoderma lucidum

Your photos are nice for sharing, but if you are serious a bout getting more than speculation as to IDs you need to look at his thread:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=44106

I'm just fairly new to this and not so serious about it. but some others here are rare talents, if you provide all the needed info.

Thanks again and happy hunting.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

2# I believe is actually Flammulina velutipes (Velvet Foot)? Not positive there...
    4# Definately you're dog vomit slime mould Fuligo setica
    8# and 1# I think are Artist conk...Ganoderma appalantum (you can verify that if you go back and run a fingernail on the undersides...if a dark brown line appears yes!)

8. carma

carma Member

hello ,and thanks for taking a look. just trying to get any idea of what the mushrooms are.the field guide doesnt seem to help much, seems a bit confusing . anyways i enjoy taking the pictures and painting them. so I headed out again and found a couple more in a pine woods. the one in the first pic i think is some type of bolete? it seems to be changing colors in spots. thought it would be an easy one to identify and possibly eat when i saw them . the white one that look like a pipe seems easy, the indian pipe fungus thanks fish dr for the link bye

Attached Files:

9. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

The bolete is edible unless it has red pores or spores. I'm guessing that's a big one even tho there's nothing in the picture for scale. It seems very mature and they are often full of maggots at this stage. You can still eat it when there are a few maggots, because you cook the hell out of them.

I ate a bunch day before yesterday. I have no idea what they were because they grew on domestic lawns and could be non native species. They could also be appearing out of season because the weather has been weird and also the lawns are artificially watered.

The indian pipe (monotropa) is not a fungus. It is a chlorophyll-absent plant that is a parasite, not, as once thought on tree roots, but on the mycorrhyzal fungus that lives in symbiosis with the tree.

I don't know what the following mushroom is, but the last "looks like" some kind of bolete again.

Happy hunting and thanks for sharing,

Fish Dr.

10. carma

carma Member

ok thank you some others from yesterday. amanintas in the first couple, another amanita type (the ones that are more red, a russula and some others

Attached Files:

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

VERY curious what the beautiful skirted brown-capped mushrooms are!
    The yellow Amanitas are POSSIBLY Yellow-Patches...
    You're 'fingers' I think are Dead Man's Fingers...Xylaria polymorpha or another Xylaria sp.
    Rusulla are almost impossible to ID correctly without a microscope...so many of them are red capped with white gills/stems. Even experts go up in arms trying to ID correctly.
    You're brown 'balls' that are on the moss I think are possibly Gallerina sp.? Possibly Gallerina autumnus. Not sure till they are fully grown with cap/stem views...
    The stemmed polypore with the laquer finish resembles Rieshi (Ganoderma lucidum) but there are several Ganoderma sp. that have this look....Can you get a good top view by any chance of these?
    I'm moving...where did you say you photographed all these at??? :o)

12. carma

carma Member

hello im not sure about the skirted mushrooms they were in wetsrn massachusetts