Wildflowers: Lily Identification Please!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Hulio, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Hulio

Hulio Active Member 10 Years

Hi all, as of this morning I am a newb around here. I stumbled across this site a few weeks back and was impressed with the discussions going on. I'm just someone aspiring to become more knowledgeable about the plantlife I see... and I hope in time that I can have enough knowledge to help share what I know with people such as myself on this morning!

I saw these lilies near Nelson a few weeks back and thought they would be an easy identification due to their size. I began by looking in two different books on the plantlife of British Columbia - one was quite an abbreviated book, but the other was a pretty substantial catalogue on the plantlife of interior British Columbia. Neither had any information for me. I have looked online regarding the existence of this large yellow lily around the area and found nothing... possibly because I didn't really have any luck finding a site useful on plant identification! Any help appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Liable to be H. lilio-asphodelus. Not a native plant. Some wildflower/native plant guides include some naturalized plants but most show mostly/exclusively native plants. Garden escapes or especially plants found in cultivation only are often absent.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  4. Hulio

Yep, that looks like a match. I had a suspicion they weren't a native species... both by the lack of info out there on such a prominent looking plant and the fact I had never seen or heard of large yellow lilies around here! They were located by an old abandoned cabin in the trees.... perhaps they've been growing every spring since the cabin was habitated by the planters of these flowers! Thanks for the comments.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Hulio, One of the best Native plant books for around here (the PNW) that I've found, is
    Pojar-Mackinnon's, "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast". Wash, Oregon, BC & Alaska. It's a good place to start for local plants and trees. barb

6. Hulio

Thanks Barb! I'm spending half the summer in Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park so I am learning much day by day here. I will look into that book. And probably post some pictures again soon of some flowers I'm struggling to identify! Take care.

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Hulio, No problem, we all try to help when and where we can. You'r in a great place to learn and experience all sorts of wonderful things. Looks rugged, be careful! By the name of your park I thought you were just N. of our Glacier National Park on the border of the US and CA. in Montana, but that's Waterton Park in Alberta. Any way, have fun! barb

8. RochelleMarie

RochelleMarie Member

I'm hoping that someone could tell me what kind of Lily this is. I planted a few different varieties this srping with no idea what to expect. this Lily bloomed first out of all and is only about a foot high. Any ideas?...much appreciated !

Rochelle

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      162.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Kara

Kara Active Member

Rochelle it's a regular bulb lily. Hard to tell but either Asiatic or LA Hybrid (Asiatic x Trumpet).

It's a young bulb. When more mature it can have up to 12-15 blooms per stalk.