Transplanting Phoenix Canarienesis

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by morgan, Jul 19, 2009.

1. morgan

morgan Member

I am going to transplant some Phoenix Canarienesis. The are in the ground. The trunks are 2-3 feet high and 3 feet wide. The crowns are 5-7 feet. Very healthy.

My question is to anyone with experience transplanting these. How much of the root do I need to take with the tree. I.e. how many feet or inches past the trunk or root ball and how deep. Thanks.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Take as much root as you possibly can - about a foot out from the trunk, and just keep going down at least a foot deep. You'll get some extra dirt this way, but you won't be stressing the tree unduly.

3. morgan

morgan Member

Thankyou.

4. Nath

Nath Active Member

I transplanted one of mine this summer and nearly killed it, it was only a baby, 3 feet high but the tap root was the same in depth as the height of the tree and its been in the ground for two years, it only just recovering now but it lost all of its main fronds bar one, so I would advise you to dig out as much as you can around it and go as deep as you possibly can, if you have ever grown them from seed you will know that the roots very quicky fill the pot even on an 8 inch seedling. Dig the new hole nice and deep and water it in well.

Nath