Help to save Vanda

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Lara, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hello,

I have Vanda Vasco Five Friendship Ascda Tubtim Velvet orchid. It bloomed for three years and this year it bloomed three times. Right after orchid bloomed it deteriorated and start to dry out from the roots. I didn't changed anything in care and the rest of my Vandas are doing fine, but this one. I don't know how old this orchid and may be this is natural way for it to dye. I want to try to save it.
    Should I cut the top (this is the only part that is still alive) and try to root it? Will it work? Should I place it in moss or just leave the orchid along?

Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Here are the photos:

http://s48.radikal.ru/i122/0907/99/f9b3e851aa9f.jpg
    http://s50.radikal.ru/i128/0907/c6/0d4871f5bd6a.jpg
    http://i040.radikal.ru/0907/80/e17a6ee7ad16.jpg

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What is that grayish stuff visible on the leaves? Looks like you might have some infestation there. Scale and/or mealybugs can really devastate a plant!

3. Lara

Lara Active Member

Oh, it is the camera flash probably... It is just stains (calsium) from water, there is no insects or fungi. I checked for infestation, there is nothing. It seems that plant is just drying from the bottom.

4. togata57

Hmm. I know that vandas like lots of moisture, especially in summer...I also know that they are often grown without much in the way of potting medium. However, if the poor thing is slowly dying, maybe you could try repotting it in bark or moss that would retain more moisture for the roots.

5. Lara

Lara Active Member

That is the problem, the roots looks like they are dead and the stem is already dry at the bottom. What if I cut the top of the plant which is still alive and plant it in moss or bark, do you think Vanda will root?

6. togata57

7. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

In some cases Vandas can be 'topped' to produce new plants. I just lost my only Vanda under similar circumstances. Roots collapsed and then lower leaves started to drop. I tried wrapping the stem with spagnum moss above the roots but below the leaves but had no success. For any hope of revival warm humid conditions would be needed to produce roots higher up. I'm now Vanda-less in my cooler growing area.

Shaun

8. Lara

Lara Active Member

Thanks for answering, Shaun. This is my favorite Vanda, I have other two, but I will be very sad if this one dies.
    Someone from my local Orchid society suggested to cut off the top and put it in moss in order to root. I know it is almost impossible, because it will be completely without roots, but I will try. If I leave it the way it is it will die eventually.

I hope it will work, it worked for my Phal before.
    I will give an update later.
    Thanks

9. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

Dyna-grow makes a root gel that works really well for me you might give it a try... it may at least increase your chances of rooting it....you might also check your water's hardness, water that's too hard (or fertilizer mixtures that are too strong) can damage orchid roots. Granted some are more tolerant than others. I had a phal. that I was just barely keeping alive and I could never figure out why it was doing so poorly until I got my R.O. unit and started giving all my houseplants that water instead of tap. The difference it made on that phal. and a few other orchids was like night and day....

10. Lara

Lara Active Member

Thanks for giving an advice!
    I checked Vanda and I saw that stem is started to rot. I didn't have any rooting hormone at first and now I cut off the rotted part of the stem (which leaves only three leafs on the plant, one of them hasn't developed fully yet) and I put it into Wilson Roots gel. This gel is suppose to help with fungi and promote rooting, at least I hope it will. I planted Vanda into damp moss. Now I will wait.