Sweet William

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nellymod, Jul 15, 2009.

1. nellymod

nellymod Member

I have what are apparently is Sweet Williams in my garden...they are about 1 to 1.2 ft tall.....was told that they only bloom every other year.....? Has anyone had these types of flowers as they stated when I got them last year they were perennials? How long do they bloom....have 3 different colors growing.....?

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bloom every year. The every other year false idea would be based on the fact that the basic life cycle is that of a biennial, the plant developing for its first year from seed and the flowering the second, perhaps petering out after that. However, I have known clumps that persisted for years.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

mine has bloomed every year for the past four.

5. nellymod

nellymod Member

Is it a Dianthus barbatus...looks like there are Heart Attack, Red, and Pink......

6. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

we grow them all the time from our own seed they will not flower the first year, but then every year, lovely sweet smell , I prefer a really dark red. see my photos.

Attached Files:

7. nellymod

nellymod Member

How do you seed them???? I am new at this...mine are about the same as yours they are gorgeous...and I don't want to lose them...not sure where I stumbled upon them but they are my fav's. Do you cut them back? They have been blooming for about 3 wks. How long should I expect them to bloom? Thanks for your help.

8. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

Hi Nellymod
    here in uk the flowers are just dying off, and the seeds will appear in a few weeks, lots and lots of them, take the tops off and just shake them out in a bag. or we just find they self seed. then you can cut them back, they grow again next spring.
    good luck.

9. nellymod

nellymod Member

When you take the tops of them and get the seeds do you just lay back in the flowerbed? Also do you cut them back when they are done? Stupid questions probably but again I am new at this. Thanks Tweetie