Help with no flowering Campsis.

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by alliekat81, Jun 29, 2009.

1. alliekat81

alliekat81 Member

To start off, let me say that I am still a novice gardner, so excuse any "dumb" questions I have. I have a Campsis that is about 5 years old. I have it planted in a full sun section, right against my pergula, climbing a trellis. The vine grows every year and looks very healthy, but has yet to produce any flowers. It has not produced any bean, or pod either. I have noticed for the first time this year there are "babies" popping up around it. I am confused. How is this plant producing offspring with no seeds and why won't it produce any flowers? Any help would be great. The same vine grows wild in my area and is in full bloom. What am I don't wrong? Thanks!

2. butterfly1963

butterfly1963 Member

Hi,
    I planted one in 1989. It grew like a weed! Came up all over the place. All over the chain link fence, in the nandina, up the oleander just everywhere.
    But nary a bloom, until this year. This year it is blooming like crazy. We've been trying to get rid of it because it never bloomed. Because of its invasivness (sp?) we were never able to get rid of it. Don't know why all of a sudden this year, 20 yrs after it was put in the ground as an 18" stick bought from one of the catalogs, it started blooming. Personally, I don't like waiting that long for something to start blooming chuckle.
    We quit fertilizing it many years ago when we decided it was a mule and wasn't going to bloom like the ones next door in the woods. It has NEVER failed to grow. Katrina's waters didn't put a damper on it like so many other plants that didn't like that water.
    I know this is no help, just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one.
    take care,
    God bless,
    Beth