how to grow blueberry bush?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by ABEER, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ABEER

ABEER Member

Need advice on how to grow a blueberry bush? I just bought one yesterday and not sure how and where to plant it. I have no idea how big it gets as it maturs, and what are sun and soil requirements.

Thanks in advance!

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, Dad cleared an old peat bog area, plowed up the soil, laid drain tile to drain any standing water to the creek, then planted Blueberries. Didn't have to acidify the soil as it was already a peat bog. They grew so well that I used to have nightmares about setting fire to the patch so I no longer had to pick the d--- things. He planted "Jersey" that were big and a bit tart, "Rubel" and "Stanly" that were smaller and sweeter. I under stand that "Rubel" is still sold.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that acidic soil, a fair supply of water, and full sun, was all we ever did. You'll probably have to keep the soil acidic and fertilized. Use an appropriate fertilizer that will do both and you should be fine. Good luck! Barb

3. ABEER

ABEER Member

Thanks Barb that was helpful.

4. marjaleena

marjaleena Member

Another thing about blueberries I learned recently when I bought some blueberry bushes... the labels said one needed to have at least two different varieties for cross pollination. I don't know, though, if this applies to all varieties that are out there.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Right Marjalena! I forgot about that. Some do need polinators.

Abeer, check with whom ever you bought it from, they should know.

6. ABEER

ABEER Member

Thanks to all for all the info.

7. ABEER

ABEER Member

The blueberry bush that I have is called duke blueberry bush, did any one try this variety before?

8. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    My blueberry bushes responded well this year to iron sulphate that I applied last year.
    Dukes would not be any different to any other blueberry bush. Keep the soil moist and out of the sun to protect the roots from drying out. Blueberries have a shallow root system.