Can someone ID this pond plant.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MannieBoo, May 27, 2009.

1. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Good day;

I have this plant growing in my pond, about 1 foot below the water, it has pointed oval leaves about 4"s long and red stalks. Any ideas, took a stroll around my pond this was the only specimen I could see. I do have other pond weeds that were so kindly "dropped" off by visiting water fowl, but this is nothing like the regular pond weed. I pulled one of the leaves, it pulls out the same way rhubarb does on land, right from the base, and the stem is tubular very much like rhubarb.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      119.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      126.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      121.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Potamogeton?

3. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

The other pond weed I have is potamogeton, this plant has one leave at the end of each stem and that's it, no branching etc.

4. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I've been doing some serious googling on every discriptive word I could to find the answer to my query, and the closest I could find is a water plant called red stemmed Sagittaria Lancifolia, from my research it is a Zone 7-11 water plant, I live in a Zone 5a, but my pond is in a sheltered area, and our winters haven't been the typical Canadian winters for some years now. I would appreciate it if there was someone else out there that could confirm my findings. Thanks a million.

5. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Hello there;

Well, I have taken several of the leaves to a proffessor at our local agriculture college who deals with aquatic plants and after many hours and phone calls have been given an affirmative answer to my query. I certainly do have a Red stemmed Sagittaria Lancifolia. It's been determined that the only way this plant made it to my pond was from the droppings of a blue Heron, which come to my pond yearly to try and fish it out of fish and frogs. Since my pond is in a sheltered area it's been able to survive. I realize this has been a stumper for many who have checked thos thread but I have to say I have had a pleasure doing the research on this, after all when one is retired it challanges like this that keep our minds sharp. Now I just have to make sure he doesn't come a dig out on me.

6. dthong

dthong Member

look like an emerged form of a Cryptocoryne not sure the species .

7. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I've checked out site with the plant you suggested, but they are totally different from mine. It now has to flower stocks which have many bloom buds at the top, hopefully they will open soon, at which time I will post photos.

I think this plant may be also referred to has Duck Potato.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009