banana trees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by looie36, Jul 11, 2005.

1. looie36

looie36 Member

Hi, I'M LOOIE AND I HAVE BANANA TREES OVER MY SEPTIC TANK. ARE THE ROOTS HARMFUL TO THE TANK AND DRAINFIELD? SOMEONE TOLD ME THE TREES WOULD SUCK THE WATER OUT OF THE TANK.

2. plantluver

plantluver Member

I am no expert on septic systems however, I purchased a hobby farm many years ago that had the system under the back grass and the neighbours warned me NEVER to plant anything but grass over the bed. Interesting enough was the fact that you could tell where the tile was in the ground because the grass grew much more lush and green over those areas! You might want to consult with folks in your area that install septic systems. Good luck!
    Regards, plantluver

3. jcrowden

jcrowden Member

i have a septic system. the only thing above the field should be grass. no plants, cars, hot tubs, gravel, paving slabs etc

4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

The tank is one thing, actually two chambers, and the drain tile field is separate.
    Depending on the age of your system, you may have a problem with the tiles being infiltrated. However you will need to have the tank pumped out every couple of years regardless. The cover comes off for this. Nothing should be planted on it. I have lawn over top of the concrete slab top on mine. I'd rather have gravel screenings, as the lawn will brown in August cause of the poor depth of soil. These things are sacred areas... how sacred? "many thousands of dollars in repairs" sacred. And if your septic field "fails" new regulations in installing another could get really sacred!