Looking for Ideas, please help.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Nature_Boyee, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Nature_Boyee

Nature_Boyee Member

I am buying a new home and will have my first yard. I am very excited. I'm looking for pics of other peoples yards for ideas on how I want to set mine up. Do you know of any good links with ideas? Also I am looking for pics and info on diff types of trees and such. Any info??

Thanks!

2. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

ideas

first; where are you located,and what are the compass references of your yard, and if you have trees for shade or an open lot with lots of sun exposure? I started a garden on gabriola island 7 yrs. ago and have some experience of poor soil,& dry summers. Pat

3. Nature_Boyee

Nature_Boyee Member

I live in Calgary, lots of sun, its basically a plot of dirt right now, im just looking for landscaping ideas for trees and stuff.

4. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

When we lived in calgary we had 3 spruces in the front yard in a trianglar garden, (2 green and one blue). they grew well and required little care. they were placed about 30 ft from the house. Not too close is better. mugho pines bordered the front of living room windows along with a dogwood shrub which had red branches and looked good in winter when bare.we found also that peonies do well in south facing spot.They just need proper support, as you probably know. small cedars do ok too but must be well watered in fall to prevent winter drying if they face south.I found the people at golden acres very helpful for suggestions too, as well as, Weil and Cullen if you live in north calgary. ask them if you could do a single maple as I'm not sure how they do in Calgary. I never saw any in our neighbourhood. good luck Pat