No blooms????? What can I do?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by alliekat81, Jul 7, 2009.

1. alliekat81

alliekat81 Member

To start off, let me say that I am still a novice gardner, so excuse any "dumb" questions I have. I have a Campsis that is about 5 years old. I have it planted in a full sun section, right against my pergula, climbing a trellis. The vine grows every year and looks very healthy, but has yet to produce any flowers. It has not produced any bean, or pod either. I have noticed for the first time this year there are "babies" popping up around it. I am confused. How is this plant producing offspring with no seeds and why won't it produce any flowers? Any help would be great. The same vine grows wild in my area and is in full bloom. What am I don't wrong? Thanks!

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Is it possible you are feeding it too much? Some plants don't flower too well if conditions are too cushy and comfortable -- they take the opportunity to add more foliage. If you cut out the fertilizer -- especially nitrogen -- that might help.

I would guess that the baby plants are "suckers" -- new stems arising from the roots of the parent plant.

I would try a bit of pruning as suggested in Silver Surfer's link, then starve the thing for a while.

4. alliekat81

alliekat81 Member

Thanks so much I will try that.

5. tugo

tugo Active Member

I had one, since 3 years ago with hundreds of blooms each summer but then I was fed up from the dirt and zillions of ants on it so I just dig it out with some roots and transplanted it a far point of the garden. This one dyed immediately, did not grow but the original one, because of the roots pieces left under the soil, every spring grows all the way up, very healthy also but did not bloom one single flower.
    Don't now the reason but may be the same like yours.