When to cut a large Pony-Tail's flowers?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sudsy, Jul 11, 2005.

1. sudsy

sudsy Member

Hello all. Wonderful to see a great setting to discuss horticultural issues.

Mine relates to a rather large and established Pony Tail. She stands approx. 10ft, with a trunk girth of 40cm, and a lower bulb base of approx.90cm dia.
    It's been flowering now for several months, showing off a brilliant plumage of some 20 vertical stems. Should I consider cutting all , most, or some of them to allow it to grow further? I've enjoyed this beautiful tree for 2 years, and this is the first I've seen of such flowering.

Thanks again everyone. I hope some one has an opinion.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

At that size, it sounds more like a Cart-horse than a Pony :-)

What sort of a thing is it? (i.e., what's the scientific name?)

3. sudsy

sudsy Member

Hee hee. I'll try dig around for a photo and upload it. I don't know any technical identifiers unfortunately. I only know that everything natural tends to be big in Australia... : /

4. NorthernPlantJunky

NorthernPlantJunky Member

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee)
    Genus: Beaucarnea (bow-KAR-nee-uh)
    Species: recurvata (rek-er-VAY-tuh)

Synonym:Nolina tuberculata

Synonym:Nolina recurvata

Synonym:Beaucarnea tuberculata

Are those your Flowers? Is it a Palm?

Attached Files:

5. sudsy

sudsy Member

Thanks for the info so far everyone. It's becoming really educational, that's for sure.

I'll try upload that image I was searching for. I hope it appears clear enough. I'm sure a familiarised-hort-eye will know what they're looking at.

Thanks NorthernPlantJunky for the info. No, the flowers aren't as you provided. It may not even be a Pony Tail Palm, I've been lead to believe it may be. The flowering colours, as you may be able to make out, are very iridescent against the blue sky.

I hope this helps someone, help me re: when and if it's best to cut those flowers to promote further healthy growth.

Attached Files:

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a Yucca or something related to it. The flowerheads can be pruned off when the flowers have finished, unless you want to keep them for seed in which case wait until the seed pods are ripe (turn from green to brown and split open)

7. sudsy

sudsy Member

That's fantastic advice Michael. Thanks so very much. I can now do a bit of an investigate around for other general info.

If there are any other thoughts, or ideas regarding the aledged Yucca, send a note please. All the best everyone. Thanks again for the feedback to all.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am wondering about the ID of this plant. I am used to Beaucarnea recurvata being a small houseplant, but note that the plant grows to 4.7 to 6 metres tall. The flowers in NPJ's post look to be in bud. Would they look like Sudsy's flowers when they opened?

The tree does not seem to have the base of B. recurvata though. Perhaps our readers from warmer areas are more familiar with Sudsy's plant.

Either way Michael's advice is good.

9. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

10. sudsy

sudsy Member

Joe, I've made some initial inquiries from the link you kindly provided. Jazzland Nursery is only 2 hrs from where I am here in Queensland, Aust.

I'll keep this thread up to date on any positive feedback.

Oh and Eric, the image is a little unclear re: its base, it's quite circular and bulbus... one could say beach ball bulbus! :)

Sincere thanks once again everyone.

11. sudsy

sudsy Member

I just thought I'd return briefly, as I haven't heard from my locally based Nursary people yet. Once I get some profound insight into this ... tree, I will post the findings.

Regards to all. S

12. MrSlothy

MrSlothy New Member

I know this post is years old and no one probably cares any more but that is absolutely 100% a ponytail palm... The colour of the flowers indicates it is most likely a female specimen. Ponytail palms will grow huge if you leave them in the ground long enough...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hmm, yes, eleven year old post, but it was interesting to read it and see those photos. Thanks for chiming in, MrSlothy. I see some photos of large Beaucarnea recurvata:
    Ponytail Palm. Beaucarnea recurvata. Xeriscape Landscape Plants & Flowers For The Arizona Desert Environment. Pictures, Photos, Images, Descriptions, & Reviews. Succulents.
    This page talks about the flowers and how to treat them:
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/261/

@sudsy, if you're still reading this, could we have a photo of the base of the tree, showing the "beach ball bulbous" shape?