Blueberry tree from seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Bryby, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Bryby

Bryby Member

Hey, this is probably a bad question but i just want to know if it is possible to grow a blueberry tree from some organic blueberries i buy at the specialty market.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I'm sure it's possible, but why would you want to? You won't know if the plants produce good quality fruit for several years. Your chances of getting fruit identical to what you bought are very slim. I've picked blueberries from wild seedling bushes that are the offspring of commercial High Bush blueberry plants for many years and can say that some of the plants do produce superior fruit. However, there are also many bushes with small, poor-tasting berries. However, I must say that this probably only applies to the High Bush blueberries grown in the West. I understand that in eastern North America, wild-picked Low Bush blueberries are readily available. The offspring of wild blueberry bushes should resemble their parents. However, I still suspect that it will take a long time to get to the producing stage. You would be eating home-grown berries much sooner if you bought some plants.

3. Bryby

Bryby Member

Thanks for the reply vitog! Oh I don't mind waiting a few years, as long as they grow. They are the best tasting berries i have ever had, so i figured the seeds in the berry would, if i could get them to grow, become awesome plants. They are grown locally so they should do well in on my land. I have no idea what to do, though. Should i sift away the flesh of the fruit, and dry the seeds out in the sun for a few days - then maybe plant them or do the moist paper towel/refridgerator thing? I must admit I don't know how to germinate seeds!

4. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

i wanted to do my entire garden from seeds in the fruit i bought at the store but the nursery lady at lowes told me that a lot of times they dont bear fruit. if i didnt have the money to buy one at a nursery i would try it just to see what happens but id say its worth trying. only reason i wanted to grow them from the seed was to tell people i grew that in a cup! now i have to tell them i bought them at lowes :(

5. Bryby

Bryby Member

haha! Awww come on Czvp you didn't even try?! You know what, i'm going to try. I might as well, all i need is pure soil. Anyways, what can i do with the seeds to make them germinate?

6. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

7. Bryby

Bryby Member

Good link! Thank you! I didn't even think to check youtube. Glad i got you interested. It's like who wouldn't want to grow free blueberries. It's worth a shot. I am also using that technique on some apple seeds as of now. Keep me informed.

Sincerely,
    The Wind beneath your wings: Bryby. :-)

8. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

lol i check youtube before i check to wikipedia.