Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

By the way...

Tugo:

Thank you so much for the red and pink nelumbo seeds!!! I am absolutely ecstatic. I hope you got my email. I am also very grateful for the Japanese Red Maple seeds as well. I already have them soaking in water! Sand lily seeds too - how unique and interesting.

I had to go to the post office today to pick up your package but I didn't know who it was from. When I saw the package was from Turkey, and your name, I knew it was your seeds. So exciting to have pink nelumbo again - you are a doll. Never imagined red! Wow.

I am not going to germinate these seeds until I am a nelumbo expert! I want to be successful because the seeds are very special. A million thank you's, Tugo. I owe you big time.

Sherry

: )

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

How about some more good news...

The boxes I've been waiting on have arrived, and I will be able to send your seeds tomorrow! I spotted a passion fruit seed popped it's head out today as well.

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Here as promised a link to Double Orange & Yellow Daylilies. I don't know they may be very commun ones but to me they are my first and I am VERY happy about them blooming at

http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8833051_b9ewT/1/585222971_EjSCG#585230342_NitPe

Surprising some pistils seem to be welded onto the petals is that normal or not ?

Hey HL you are extactic about your package I am happy for your
    My JM seeds are still hanging there I am WATCHING them in case they start falling I'll know they are ready and if you then
    still want some .. you know where to ask :-)..
    God I am so sad some posting on craigs list about company ethics in Vancouver job posting got me a mirrad of racist e-mails
    AMAZING ..isn't it HL ? Nearly frightening just imagine people like this on open roads looking you in the face on public transport
    what next ?

4. The Hollyberry Lady

No kidding, Vicarious - I hear ya.

Yes, Tugo has been kind enough to send me some Acer Palmatum Dissectum Weeping Crimson Queen! I have the seeds soaking in water and will give them a cold stratification in the fridge for a few months and hope they will sprout.

I didn't think your JRM seeds were ready quite yet, Vicarious. I thought you might collect a few seeds when they drop on the ground, and we could do another trade. I love the weeping kinds - they are absolutely stunning.

Your daylilies are beautiful - thanks for showing us.

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Great flowers, Vic.

6. tugo

tugo Active Member

Young mother, who has given alot of seeds to me last year, this summer is enjoying my garden under a beach umbrella. And she has only one seed hanging!! So is life:))

7. The Hollyberry Lady

I am so excited about these crimson queen seeds germinating, Tugo. I know I must be patient but I am bursting with joy! What a lovely plant. I think Vicarious has a weeping variety too, that is absolutely stunning.

I am so looking forward to raising one of these gorgeous little trees...

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh yes - here is a shot I just took of my 'Cappuccino' lilies. They are really blooming for me now...

Attached Files:

9. smscore

smscore Member

I thought Id post a peek so all of you can see the beginner who needs so much help.
    Im sorry the last pictures of "me" without alot of family and chaos was before a Christmas party a few years ago.

Attached Files:

10. smscore

smscore Member

Oh, this is my very sick Corralberry; and my newer healthy one. I dont know what the problem is. Ive had it longer than anything else just about. Maybe three years or so. And never had a problem w/ it before. My younger Corralberry is happy as can be.

The big one started to drop leaves at a massive rate, and there is one stem (I dont know if you can see it in the pic) but it has lost everything.

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Great pic - thanks for participating, smscore! You look terrific, and welcome to UBC. I hope you enjoy yourself and find the information you need to get you started in gardening. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, so don't be shy to ask questions or advice.

Feel free to post anymore pics you want - family, plants, pets, whatever.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

We must have been posting at the exact same time, so I just read your 2nd post now. Sorry to hear that your Corralberry isn't doing well, but the other one looks great.

I have no experience with this plant, but when I have a plant that has been thriving for many years and then all of sudden goes downhill, I try to think of what has changed recently to make it unhappy. Often times pests are the culprit, or even over fertilizing. Sudden changes in temperature can make plants have a tantrum as well. Changes in light levels can also add to plant stress. Also taking an indoor plant and plopping it outside without hardening it off first, can often spell trouble.

Great that you posted a picture because now someone will likely be able to help you. I would suggest beginning a whole new thread with those pics, and ask what people think could be wrong. Maybe even call the thread 'my sick corralberry', or something.

I would definitely suggest removing all the sickly leaves, and putting it in the shade until it perks up again. All hope is not lost because the top of the plant still looks quite healthy. Sometimes too, repotting a plant into something larger with fresh soil can be helpful.

Good luck.

13. smscore

smscore Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Ive noticed your advice is welcome by everyone.
    I have not changed light, location, water, or fertilizer at all pretty much since I brought it home. I did repot it over a year ago and it took the event without fuss.

However a few weeks or over a month ago by now I pulled it out of the pot and divided the root ball and the stems into three different sections but replaced all three back in the same pot with space between each. Now I would usually say this was the tramatising event but I did the same thing to the other Corralberry and it looks/acts uneffected by the whole thing.

14. smscore

smscore Member

Here is another, not so flashy. And Tucker who is my spoiled child, and the only other warm body in my house.

Attached Files:

15. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Even though you divided both, you must remember that not every plant is the same. I've planted seedlings from the same tree in the same general area only to find one rotting away and the other looking nice and perky.

16. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Everyone knows better than everyone else. Don't blame it on gardening.

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You are always so abstruse with your words Ron, mind explaining for a simpler brain like mine? :)

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Exactly, ShearMe! Precisely what I was going to say!

Every plant must be treated individually, and even though one does well, doesn't necessarily mean that the other will too. I am inclined to believe that this root dividing is what is upsetting your plant. The leaves that died are because of the roots being cut.

Do not worry - keep it in the shade until it gets over the stress, then slowly move it back into sunlight gradually. The plant will let you know when the time is right, because you'll see signs of new growth. Your plant is just in shock, that's all. It will be ok.

I am glad you mentioned the root dividing, because I just knew you had done something different to the plant for it to be upset after three years of doing just fine. It will make the transition - just pamper it a bit.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

If you're gonna join the thread Ron, by all means, show yourself...

20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I couldn't help but laugh... "just in shock" would never sound right talking about a human. :P

21. The Hollyberry Lady

I might be having a blonde moment, ShearMe, but what the heck are you talking about?!!! LoL.
    People go into shock also.

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh no, I guess I've come to value plants so much I was actually thinking of them as living things to be loved and when you said "just in shock" I said 'AGH!' I was in that silly-headed stage of weariness and can't really explain why it was funny.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

One of those 'you had to be there' kind of things, huh ShearMe? - I get it.

P.S. I guess Ron is too chicken to give us a shot of his mug...

24. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, much too afraid - we'll have to go up to Edmonds, WA to steal one while he's not looking. :)

25. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re "shocked " plant. Is it still in the same area from before the divide? If not check how much sun is getting too your pot and maybe heating it up. (cooked roots) Also check if there are no air pockets. That is soil is really around the roots. I usually do that by swamping the pot when I first re plant.

Liz

Beautiful clear winter day here. The tree loppers have just removed my ferral wisteria and honeysuckle fom my footpath trees. "Not happy Jan" Oh well guess they will get up there with a renewed vigour. This was part of my dust barrier. Live on a dirt road.