Garlic pulled

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Acoma, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

I have pulled my 40 garlic plants. Many small, but a few very decent in size. I was careful when pulling them from the ground so that I did not damage any. I will cure them for the next month, then store them for cooking. Since our home is in its final days, we will not be replanting the garden. I will be helping my father-in-law with his garden, so maybe I save the biggest for him next fall. He has 30 to pull and cure as well. This was definitely a great time for me.

I am sure others are preparing to pull and cure theirs too?

2. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Hi Acoma,
    I've planted a couple of garlic cloves too (which I've never done before). I just planted them at the base of my roses. Can you please explain how do you cure them? thx. Enjoy your garlic.

3. scottg

scottg Active Member

I will be pulling mine about Aug 1 or a bit earlier if the rains start early like last year... I wait till the are about 60% brown. You want all the nutrients in the leaves to move down and fill out the bulbs. I just cut the rest of my scapes yesterday... Gonna be a bumper crop this year for sure. No more water from here on to ensure they keep till spring next year.

4. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Lily, I made sure to delicately pull each one with mini hand shovel, wiped the excess dirt off, then took them immediately to our shady patio where the bulbs will cure outside in a ventilated spot. I still have my roots and stems attached so the nutrients get sucked into the bulbs. After a couple weeks I will cut the stem and roots off, then cure another couple weeks. After that I will store them for use. 3-4 weeks of curing will do it.

5. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Hi Acoma,
    Okay, I will follow your lead. I only have (2) but at least I can practice on them. lol
    Thanks again for all your help.

6. smscore

smscore Member

Where could I get some to plant this time of year? I was going to try an inside planter w/ herbs in it. Any suggestions?

7. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Wait till late fall, just before the first frost. Then plant accordingly. Best to get the soil filled with the nutrients needed first. To get them, I go to our best, local garden nursery. They have access. That or go online for many types of garlic you would enjoy.

Good news, my wife got a beautiful digital camera for our anniversary, so we will get some photos very soon.

8. scottg

scottg Active Member

Good info on this site, I think they may be exporting to the USA this year too.. I've been using their seed garlic for a few years now.

www.garlicfarm.ca