Questions about pests on tomato plants.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Beeker, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

My friend bought the topsy turvy tomato tree. It holds up to 6 tomato plants. I put it together for him and set everything up.
    The cap on the top seems to be a very attractive home for ants. I have tried on two separate occasions to get rid of them, but they are intent on making that cap their home. I know that ants eat other bugs, so should I leave them alone to eat the aphids and spider mites that are trying to eat the tomato plants?
    BTW, that picture is from a website, not my friends tomato tree.

Attached Files:

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

If there are aphids on the tomato plants, it would be wise to discourage the ants. They do not eat aphids but 'farm' them (like we do cows) for the honeydew that they produce. Ants will defend the aphids from other predatory insects, such as ladybugs, that would eat the aphids.

3. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

Those are neat.
    Tomatoes and corn are tough for me to do. We get these darn green horned worms/caterpillar whatever things, and the worms in the corn just drive me nuts. Sevin's like candy to 'em I think. It's useless.
    You can't buy the good pesticides like you could 10 years ago anymore... :(
    It's a bunch of BS.

~LCA.

4. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Thank you, Anne.
    Will they do anything against spider mites or other bugs?
    I hosed down the plants today. If I keep up with spraying them with water, I am hoping that will get rid of the pests. What do you think?
    Any other advice?

5. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

I have been spraying the plants with water regularly. Some leaves are turning yellow. I am getting a little nervous. I cannot seem to get rid of the ants or the aphids. I wish I had some lady bugs handy. They are all over the place out of season, but during the gardening season, I can never find them.

Please advise.

6. jessmister04

jessmister04 Member

Mix a spray bottle of water together with 2-3 drops of soap with no scent I prefer Dawn or Ivory. Spray the ants and aphids and they will die from dehydration quickly. Spray during the evening to prevent sun burn on plants. Major investations could take weeks to fight off. Little investations can be resolved almost on the first or second spray. If invested plants are in pots move them away from other vegetable or flowers to prevent more investations.

7. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Thank you. :)