Cucumber plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JessEpiphany, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Member

I need help confirming the identity of this plant. From the get go I've been thinking it's cucumber so we've mowed around it. Anyway, it's grown up out of the place where I throw our fruit and veggie scraps. We also had a volunteer tomato and a volunteer pepper plant but we knew what those were immediately and moved them to safer places.
    I'd also thought about squash but was more hoping it to be a cucumber vine.
    Though someone else has now told me it might also be a type of musk melon or honey melon so I'm thoroughly confused now. I suppose I can wait until it starts forming the fruit but it's become quite an obsession, trying to figure out what it is. :)
    Any help?

Here are a couple photos to show leaf shape, the flower, and the curlique:

Attached Files:

2. blynb

blynb Active Member

I'm by no means sure but a part of me is leaning toward maybe a canteloupe or other melon like your friend said.
    -lyn

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmmm. My money's in the something-like-unto-a cantaloupe camp. Don't think it's a watermelon or zucchini...nor yet a cucumber. ---You should start a betting pool!

Hey, welcome to the forum. And greetings to you by proxy from my parents, who hail from the Paris/Champaign/Charleston area.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Member

Thanks for the input. Kind of neat to hear others thinking cantaloupe (or something along those lines) also.

Not sure about Paris/Charleston but Champaign isn't too far from here. Hello to them as well. :)

Looking at the google photos, apple cucumber seem to have pointed leaves where as my plant's leaves seem rounded. Thanks for the link.

I guess I will have to keep an eye on it and see what starts to form. Shouldn't be long now as it is covered with little yellow flowers.

6. blynb

blynb Active Member

Definitely let us know. . .now I'm intrigued ~

7. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Member

Ok, I have some update photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like any cuke I've ever grown.
    From googling images, it's looking like it is definitely a melon. Probably some variety of cantaloupe, as those are the only seeds I recall tossing in the yard.

I'm posting the new pics to just kind of get confirmation, and for anyone who was interested to see what it turned out to be.

Thanks again so much for helping me. :)

8. blynb

blynb Active Member

My original vote was on a melon but now, seeing the fruit, it looks like a type of squash. . .no way it could be that is there?

9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ha! I am gratified. Thanks for the progress report, Jess---and more to come, I hope!

Charleston is the home of Eastern Illinois University, and the county seat of Coles County.
    Paris is my mom's home town.