Acer sempervirens

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Unregistered, Apr 15, 2004.

1. A. sempervirens

Does anyone have experience with these as bonsai, especially in warm climates such as So. California? I have aquired one which is producing samaras (sp?). Are they easy to grow from seed and how long must they be layered?

2. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This maple is one of the few with persistent small and thick glossy leaves.

It is close to Acer monspessulanum and it's known as "Turkish maple" and also as Acer orientale or Acer syriacum.

Coming from Cyprus, Turkey, Lebanon and Syria, it could be a good choice for dry area.

There's one here looking like a shrub but the tree I saw was more like a tree.

Pictures taken this morning in Paris "Jardin des plantes"

I think the name of this species is Acer sempervirens but it could also be Acer obtusifolium.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Acer obtusifolium

I'd agree that what you have there is Acer sempervirens, I've seen it in southwest Turkey.

A. obtusifolium has larger leaves, less obviously three-lobed and with more serrated margins

4. Carl Bergstrom

Carl Bergstrom Member

Note: this image may not be the true species. See the discussion below.

Fresh growth on [/i]Acer sempervirens[/i].

Best regards,
    Carl

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ivylike leaf shape, bright red twig seems a bit different.

6. Michael F

It usually has leaves with one to three lobes - I'm not convinced this one is genuine. Compare with the one above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2005
  7. Carl Bergstrom

Carl Bergstrom Member

Note: These images may not be the true species. See the discussion below.

I'd be very surprised if this one is not genuine; it comes from the extremely reputable Dan Hinkley and co. at Heronswood Nursery. The growth branching pattern on my tree is exactly as I would expect; see e.g. http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/acse4.htm

I suspect we're dealing with natural variation in leaf form, and the fact that my tree is a very young seedling (approx. 4 years). The original image is the newly-emerging leaf. Here are two additional pictures, one of a more mature leaf, the other of the whole plant. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Best regards,
    Carl

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

Heronswood sells some mislabeled plants, as do many nurseries. The reputation of a company supplying a disputed plant, while frequently given as an argument for a name, actually is not much of one. What the plant looks like, where it was collected if of wild origin, things like that are what resolves the identification of a purchase.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
    Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  9. Michael F

The branching does look reasonably OK, but then it also looks OK for several other Mediterranean maples. I'd suspect it could be a hybrid between A. sempervirens and another related species, perhaps A. cappadocicum to give the five sharply pointed lobes (both species are in the same subsection of Acer, so hybridisation should be feasible).

Conversely, Andre's pic from Paris looks exactly like what I saw in SW Turkey (I've got a bit of herbarium material somewhere, I'll post a pic if I can find it); the mix of oval and three-lobed leaves is (as far as I know) diagnostic for A. sempervirens

10. Carl Bergstrom

Carl Bergstrom Member

Thank you for your help with this mystery!

The hybrid conjecture is a reasonable one, given that this plant was grown from collected seed.
    Your guess of cappadocicum is aIso highly plausible, given the striking similarity between the leaves of my plant and Esveld's photographs of two cappadocicium varieties: A. cappadocicum `aureum ' and A. cappadocicum `rubrum'. I also take your point about the three leaves being diagnostic - even Hinkley's catalog from the year that I picked up this plant mentions this:

My seed collections of this small-leaved, evergreen species from the dry southern slope of the pontic Alps in NE turkey, with leathery textured, three-lobed leaves on stems rising to 15 ft., creating a dense rounded tree, for full sun an well-drained, droughty soil. ---Heronswood Catalog, 2002.

Would it be best for me to remove my photograph, since it is probably not the true species?

Best regards,
    Carl

11. Ron B

I'd leave it, somebody else who has a similar plant might come across it and be interested in the information presented about it.

12. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Even on October 14th, there's no evidence of fall on the leaves (no red leaves). The older leaves just become dry, white/yellow and fall down.

Here is the one from "Jardin des Plantes" in Paris celebrating it's 273th birthday !

As you can see on the third pictures, there is some sign of the time...

Attached Files:

13. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer sempervirens - UWBG Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle; accession 1964.

Attached Files:

14. Ron B

Text of Maples of the World pops up now when I search the internet for maple species, so probably you can check your plant against their account.