Garlic Harvest Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by gardener9, Jun 28, 2009.

1. gardener9

gardener9 Member

We have been growing a hardneck porcelain garlic for many years now and am about ready to dig the crop. I test dug two today and am seeing signs of rot in the stem and traveling down to the bulb.

I recently saw where someone who raises 1000's of hardneck garlic cuts the tops off her garlic at harvest time . I had not seen this done before. Is this okay to do? I was thinking about trying this even before I saw this rot in the stems. Usually we leave the whole plant intact until drying is complete. Will the bulb cure alright with the stem missing? Why is this not the recommended way to dry garlic?

Thanks for any insights!

2. gardener9

gardener9 Member

whelp, I'm headed out to start to harvest my porcelain hard neck garlic......still seeking advice on cutting the stems off as I harvest them...sure wish Durgan's links worked..

3. scottg

scottg Active Member

You cut the tops (scapes) off after they do one or two loops. If you leave them on, the plants energy will work towards developing the seed flower. If you remove it, the energy will go towards making a big bulb. Leave the bulbs in the ground until the leaves are about 60% brown and do not water during the last few weeks or you will compromise the keeping quality. (they may have split wrappers). I leave mine in the ground till the end of July here on the southern BC coast. I leave my plants intact and hang them in my crawlspace where it is cool and dry. They keep fine until April of the next spring.

4. scottg

scottg Active Member

And don’t throw the scapes in your compost! Cut them up and steam them. They taste like a mildly garlicy asparagus... A real delicacy.