variegated H. bella?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Say, can anyone advise me about H. bella variegated (gold bella)? In a moment of weakness I ordered one from Pike Lake so I'm not sure exactly which plant he is supplying. How does this plant differ from the green? The internet doesn't say much good about it other than the variant leaf. Any thoughts?

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I just have a rooted cutting of the all green bella, but the care for a variegated bella is the same, maybe a titch more light if the variegation starts to fade any, but not direct sun. The variegated one might grow a little slower.

3. Chester

Yes, that is true for most variegated forms of plants. I've read other info about the variegated Hoya though, and I was hoping to hear from someone who might be able to confirm or discount the info. Namely that they can be difficult to grow and bloom. I have the green and am not experiencing problems. The variegated is supposedly smaller and will branch more readily. However, some sites say that is is quite tempermental and possibly not worth the effort. Just wondering, as in a moment of weakness I ordered one, and now am questioning my decision...

4. rascaljade

rascaljade Member

I hope that by now you've recieved your v. bella. They are a GORGEOUS little plant, but can be finicky. They do NOT like to be wet, and overwatering will kill them. Lots of indirect light, and easy on the water, and it will grow like crazy for you. I have one, that I've potted together with a green bella. It makes a nice contrast :) HTH

5. Chester

Sadly I did not receive my variegated bella. The vendor mixed up the order and will not be able to supply me with one until next year. Thanks for letting me know about them though. It's nice to have the variegation in the leaves for when they aren't in bloom. I like hoyas with some interest to the leaves :)

6. rascaljade

rascaljade Member

I think the bella gold, as he calls them ;), are one of the most beautiful hoyas out there. As I said, they can be picky, but as long as you are light on the watering, it will do well when you recieve one! If mine gets a bit bigger, I could send you some cutting, but it came to me in a 3 in teeny pot, lol!
    Here's a couple pictures!

Attached Files:

7. Chester

Oh, that is very nice. You're right. I particularly like the reddish new stems. That adds some nice interest as well. Do you have a regular green bella? I can send you a piece if not...:)

8. rascaljade

rascaljade Member

Thanks, but I do have a little one. :) It's in the back of the pot behind the gold. I've actually moved them in to a hanger in the kitchen window now, and you can see the gold on one side and the green on the other. It looks pretty neat :)