Wildflowers: Please identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by troglophile, Jul 4, 2009.

1. troglophile

troglophile Active Member

This plant is about 100 cm tall, blooming near a stream in June on Vancouver Island.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Campanula rotundifolia (Common Harebell) looks good to me. The leaves vary quite a bit, with a tendency toward being broader with more moisture. These then, fit that pattern well, with several of my field guides depicting narrower leaves.

4. Silver surfer

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  5. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Not sure where you get your ID from, but the first I look at (Audubon N.American Wildflowers) describes a plant 10 - 100 cm. tall with flowers 1/2 to 1 in. The next is Andy MacKinnon's Plants Of Northern BC. He describes a plant 10 -50 cm tall with flowers appearing on thin wiry stems. Could that be what you are referring to?

In any case, the species epithet " rotundifolia " hardly suggests a small diminutive plant.

6. Silver surfer

Rotundifolia refers to the plant having round leaves. It might be a tiny leaf or a giant one . It is just describing the shape. I have added a second link above of the wild Harebells in the U.K. As described I believe by Andy Mackinnon. The flowers are just so cute and dainty.

7. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Yes, the first thing I read in the "notes" of MacKinnon is "This is a very variable species". When I look at your link, including the measuring graphic, I do indeed see a much daintier specimen. Perhaps we're looking at a good example of regional and micro-site variation.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Silver surfer, this is a Campanula, but not C. rotundifolia (a native species here which I'm very familiar with).

Looks more like Campanula rapunculoides.

9. Silver surfer

I perhaps should have made it clearer, that like Michael, I know the Harebell from many first hand encounters. Not just from something that I had read on the net.

It is one of the flowers chosen by Cicily Mary Barker for one of her famous Fairy Flower painting. The Harebell Fairy. So dainty.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&sa=N&um=

It is also used as a pattern on certain china products in the U.K

http://stock.tablewhere.co.uk/PatternImages/ROQ0055.jpg

10. troglophile

troglophile Active Member

Thank you all for your comments. From the photos on the Internet it appears that it is Campanula rapunculoides. Thank you Michael F.
    troglophile