Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Good to hear Sherry! I try to do my best as well, but sometimes as with Kleenex, it's difficult to tell how much something that you do affects things around the world. I only found out a month or so ago. I showed my Mom the tissue guide they have that shows what is in each product, so hopefully she will start using it :)

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually those trees in the photo look to be farmed, not a natural forest, nor near 90 years old. Here in BC hundreds of acres have been planted for use of the trees by Scott paper, some harvested at 12-15 years. Not defending the forestry company, but really wondering how factual or possibly deceiving the article may be and more than a little skeptical about donating.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Kimberly Clark (who owns Kleenex, Scott, Cotonelle, etc.) does have some farmed trees, but they only use that wood for European products from what I understand because they wouldn't be allowed to sell there if they were using clear cut natural forests. For American products they are actually deforesting from what I understand. Obviously I haven't done the fieldwork and am not working for their company, so I don't know 100%. However even using farmed trees is kind of an issue when you are talking about disposable paper products that you cannot recycle and are not made from recycled paper at all, IMO. Also, whether you are growing trees to cut down or cutting down natural forests, both are home to a lot of biodiversity by the time you cut them down. Also, I'm not asking for donations, but I think it's good to be conscious of where we live and the natural environment we depend on.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes Joey, totally agree. Didn't mean you were looking for donations, just see it at the top of the list on the web site. The cottonwood logs farmed here are not allowed across the border into the US is my understanding, due to trade laws. What i find hypocritical is one of the original founders of Greenpeace is such a strong proponent of the Atlantic salmon farming practiced here by multinational companies, which threatens the survival and health of native fish populations and the marine environment wherever the farms have been introduced. Norway, Scotland, Chile, and Canada all have serious problems associated with the Atlantic salmon farms. Sorry, I can't help but wonder about the organizations' credibility and their motives sometimes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)

Attached Files:

6. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

I do not know about a GP founder supporting salmon farming, however I personally believe that GP as a whole, despite views of any of its current/past leaders/founders/et c. does do a lot of good work. Since they are generally in support of protecting natural biodiversity, I kind of doubt that GP has that particular stance on that issue, whether or not they are currently focusing on it or not. That being said, I feel I should apologize as I think this whole GP tangent is kind of off thread. Chimera, I don't believe you've posted a pic of yourself yet have you? ;-)

Wow Vic, those are some beautiful photos! But poor plants! 80,000v???

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Joey, if those 80,000 volts are at the correct (ie very low) Amperage, nothing happens to the plants except for the neat corona effect. Have you ever touched a Tesla Magnifying Transmittor? (probably not, now that I think about it...) Much the same thing happens - you get a surface effect that tingles a little bit but it has no lasting effect.

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

My input for the whole 'Green' thing is that no matter how 'Green' one tries to be, there will always be some things you just can't change. I don't really believe in Global Warming, but even if it is happening we won't be able to reverse the effects for thousands of years - if not more. It takes a crisis to make most of humanity react, and usually by then it is too late.

The main reason America is moving in the 'Green' direction, is because of celebrities that pretend to care. Certain businesses are pushing 'Green' products into our homes like the compact florescent bulbs. If you do your research, you'll find out that those "energy savers" have mercury in them - a very toxic element. Sure, those take forever to burn up and last for decades, but when they do go out, they will be going straight in to the trash bin and into the dump with the mercury tagging along; that stuff will seep into water supplies every where.

There's a load of other examples but if you're interested, here's a link to an article on Prison Planet which is an Anti-Elitist/Conspiracy website. They do their research and I haven't found much evidence that contradicts theirs.
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/green-lean-austerity-in-the-age-of-obama.html

___++++____
    On another note...

I like electricity! It looks cool, it sounds cool, it even feels cool so long as you don't get too much current. :D

9. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Thanks for correcting me Lorax! It's been over four years since I've taken AP Physics in high school, so watts, amps, volts, et c. have all kind of lost their specific meanings for me. In that same class though, we all had plenty of chances to play around with a hand cranked tesla coil, so I know exactly what is going on then :)

AND PLEASE, for anyone else that wants to attack my views on living sustainably, being mindful of our environment, for linking to the Greenpeace website, et c., I would rather you PM (Private Message) me since this has nothing to do with this thread (get to know each other and see pics of each other in a friendly way) rather than carry on trying to prove and disprove each others' points of view. If you'd like to debate these issues in a public sphere, please start a new thread because I think it is disrespectful to Hollyberry Lady, who started this thread, as well as everyone else that has enjoyed getting to know each other on a more personal level through sharing pictures of our lives with each other.

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I'm sorry, I wasn't attacking! D:

I wanted to point out another side of all of this, but I do also like to be environmentally friendly. I'm not saying we don't need to looking into energy sources other than fossil fuels or that trying to be green is a bad thing, just that it's a good idea to know why something is 'environmentally friendly' as it might not be at all.

I wasn't saying anything wrong about the Greenpeace website either because, as you said in a PM, I linked to a site with no real credibility.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else because I was in no way trying to do so.

11. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Hi ShearMe,

I wasn't offended, I was just hoping to put the whole thing in the past for this thread! Thanks agreeing to put it all in the past, I never knew such a small comment about tissues could incite so much debate! Haha :P

J

12. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hey, maybe there's worse things in our snot than in the Kleenex?!

13. lorax

Hankies, folkies! Lovely, washable, reusable, sustainable, cloth hankies!

There. I've said my piece.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I use my sleeve. ;)

Here's some pics of my flower bed remodeling. I had to enlarge the area to make room for a banana plant I'm receiving soon, and while it's not pretty, it's good enough because the plants are what matter. Eventually we might remove the entire cement boarders and replace them, but not too soon.

I got four blisters in the process, three that I can still feel, one that I popped 3 times, and one that came pre-popped. :D

Here's also pics of a potted loquat, and my hydroponically grown pepper plant which really took off while I was gone recently.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Well...

It seems there are still a lot of CHICKENS out there - too afraid to show themselves! Don't be scared - show your mug!

: )

Thanks for sharing ShearMe - I can just picture how things will look when your wonderful plants are covering everything. That's right, the plants are the most important things. Sometimes people can use fancy gating, statues, and other garden knick knacks to hide the fact that their gardening skills are seriously lacking. All flash but no substance.

I have seen some unsightly houses get transformed into something of beauty, from many flowers and lovely plants - further proof that the plants are what is most important.

Good for you ShearMe, for imagining the beauty that would soon flourish, and going for it! Good luck with everything.

Well, here is my 'Hagley' clematis, not doing too bad so far...

Attached Files:

16. vicarious1

My Opinon on "New thread" starting...I find it takes more and more TIME to follow many different threads.. I like this one as the H Lady said fine talk about what you feel and like about. Even more than showing pics of yourself. Like Lorax I really !! 100% enjoy seeing her photos of another world ...far from here..and opinions etc.. i think we should just take it as it comes some things we agree some we disagree and we are adult enough to agree to disagree. I ask WHY start something HERE and then finish it off in PM ?
    Those not interested or not of the same opions. Either do not read, not reply, not comment etc..
    H L.... Lovely Clematis. .....

17. vicarious1

18. burdan54

burdan54 Member

I just ran across this forum. I am new to gardening and would like to be at the level of the Hollyberry lady one of these days.

Now I have been reading many of your posts Hollyberry, and I too, along with many others thought you would be a little older. I guess that is why they call it stereotyping. SORRY. You are a beautiful young lady.

Here is a picture of me and one of the most wonderful human being in dogs clothing. Also is a picture of my "husband".

I am posting my picture because you all will be seeing a lot more of me since I have found this wonderful site.

dog.jpg PICT0273.JPG PICT0258.jpg PICT0312.jpg

PS....I am the pretty one.,.....LOL

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you so much Burdan54! So nice of you to make those sweet comments. Welcome to UBC gardening forum.

I am not as young as you all might think. ShearMe thought I was 22! Bless you, ShearMe. Although the shots of me that I've posted on here were taken within the last 6 months, I am actually 35.

Age really has nothing to do with how successful one is with gardening or anything else. It is my #1 passion - I love it. Still have much to learn and experience though, so please don't think I know it all or have done it all - far from it.

Thank you again, for your kind words. Love your pics, and thanks for sharing them. Feel free to post more whenever you want.

Enjoy the forum...

20. The Hollyberry Lady

P.S. Thanks Vicarious - glad you like the clematis. Will post more shots later. It's just getting started!

21. vicarious1

Hey guys.. So here we go with the "couple" pics a new twist to the Forum from keeping it just " straight forward" haha.
    Ohhhh we love Beagles Last year it was no1 first time in the NY dog show, finally .
    The Glads are STUNNING. Bravo from seed or nursery plant ?
    Welcome to the FORUM ...
    have a slice of my Banana Bread ( recepie on request) under one of our two multiple Japanese hardy Banana trees. I thought they were dead from the frost . But "surprise" they came back and multiplied into 4 and 6 stems in a few weeks only. Yeeppee ..Bananas from the store NOT from our tree yet :-) Wishful hoping . haha.

Attached Files:

22. lorax

Vic, you won't get bananas in the edible sense from your Musa basjoos - they'll be full of hard little seeds!

23. vicarious1

Hello Yes I know dear they are only decorative... In South Africa we had a REAL Fruit baring tree :-).. at 69cents a pound here Ok we can manage :-)..Ok enjoy your TROPICAL day we have CANADA day and the weather is GORGEOUS .........near tropical

24. lorax

Well, you can eat basjoo fruits. It's just difficult....

And here in the tropics of all places, we're having a typical Canadian Prairies summer day - 25 C and light rain. Boo-urns.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

We're warm with misty rain today - perfect for transplanting some vines and plants outside, which is exactly what I did. I have been spending the day weeding, and cutting out a new little garden for my 2 pole bean plants, some mixed colored morning glory, and my new 2009 flowering perennial Columbine in front of the vines.

It might not sound like a lot, but it took me many hours to do all of this. I don't just throw things in the ground - I prepare the soil with rich compost and blood and bonemeal also. I had a great day getting outside in the gardens though, and don't really see it as work.

Debating on what to do with my indoor passiflora - the one outside on the fence is now thriving! I am so excited to see it really take off. I gave it around 15 feet and then sunk a painted lady and scarlet runner pole bean vine, along with a couple mixed colored morning glory's too. Both pole bean varieties attract hummingbirds and butterflies! I will take pictures when things are worthy of a shot...

So excited. My banana plant is also thriving. I am in love with the leaves. Everyone is going to freak when the see it. I can just see the looks now. Heck, I'll have the same look on my face too, that says, 'holy crap, look at that thing'! This is my first banana plant, and I am bursting for joy, to watch it grow.

Also, someone from this forum recently sent me some goji berry seeds from Tibet that she was told are organic. I understand wolfberries, although related to goji berries, are not quite the same thing. I wonder if these seeds from Tibet, are the real deal. Wolfberries are still good though, and make very attractive plants. These may well be the real deal. I am in the process of germinating some of the seeds...