Dendrophylax lindenii - Florida's ghost orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by prem, Jun 22, 2009.

1. prem

prem Member

On a trip down to the swamps of south Florida, we were hiking in an area known to host ghost orchids (Dendrophylax lindenii) and happened to come upon an acquaintance from on-line (we did not know he would be there). Once he knew who we were, he proceeded to tell us of a plant that he saw with multiple flowers in a nearby area and offered to take us to photograph it.

It is very rare for this species to have more than one bloom per plant per season. Five blooms or more is exceedingly rare, as this plant is doing (three flowers, one spent flower, and one bud):

Taken somewhere in south Florida (location not disclosed to protect it from poaching):

http://www.flnativeorchids.com/images/orchids/dendrophylax_lindenii/dendrophylax_lindenii12.htm

1/6 second, f8, ISO 100, Sigma 105mm macro, Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Enjoy!
    ---Prem

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Prem,

Nice to see the 'Ghost' in bloom, hopefully the pollinator comes along to fertilize some pods. I've seen a few successful blooms on various forums so perhaps one day we won't have to worry about poaching - D. lindenii seedlings aren't uncommon nowadays. I'm watching a local Cypripedium passerinum colony getting ready to bloom but I won't share the location for fear of having the plants murdered (I will share photos).

Shaun

3. prem

prem Member

The spent flower turned out to have been pollinated (which was everyone's suspicion all along)...subsequent observations by other individuals have documented a rapidly swelling seed pod.

---Prem