Rhododendrons: By Rhodendrum plant is...

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by barely, Apr 2, 2008.

1. barely

barely Member

... alive but has NOT flowered in the four years since planting. There are buds on the plant and the location is approx 75% sunshine daily.
    I am thinking this poor Rhody needs to be transplaneted. But when is the best time and will it do good in a huge container (yes, I know I wouldn't be able to move that container once the plant starts growing)?
    Help needed!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some kinds are slow to get enough to bloom. Was it a little thing when you put it in? Does it look green and healthy otherwise?

3. barely

barely Member

We bought at the Great Canadian Wholesale so it may have been sick to begin with. And yes it was a little fella when I planted it. The soil in front of my trailer has a lot of clay and I thought that could contribute to my Rhody's problems???

4. barely

barely Member

Sorry I missed your last line Ron. Yes it's really bright green and the leave look healthy to me. The only success in grow I seem to have is rocks, stones and strawberries.

5. barely

barely Member

My Rhodendrum update

I am glad to say my Rhody has finealy bloomed. Since I am not sure if I can post a picture I'll leave the beauty to mind of the reader, the pink flowers were a beautiful sight.
    What I do wonder though is after the blooms turn brown and have fallen do I need to break off the sticky sticks that are left? I wouldn't want to do the wrong thing and reck this late bloomer. LOL

6. Herman56

Herman56 Member

Re: My Rhodendrum update

"breaking off the sticky sticks" is a way to avoid the rhododendron to create seeds.
    Since you will probably not need the seeds this is a good strategy: creating seeds costs the rhodo a lot of energy.
    The energy can better be used for new branches/leaves and flower-buds for next year.

Kind regards,

Herman

7. barely

barely Member

Re: My Rhodendrum update

Thank you Herman I will get right to the pinching in the morning, before the sun gets to HOT. I'm so glad I asked...
    Lia