Dense, dark evergreen in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bijjy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Hi all,

I need to know what kind of tree this is. I noticed it yesterday, and I am looking for a tree that is about 20' tall that blocks out highway sight and sound. This one seems so dense and perfect. Also, are the dead orange branches underneath the canopy something natural?

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Oh, and to what extent does it look like its been pruned? Is it usually more a conical shape?

3. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

And I like these as well... I believe they are sequoias in Van Dusen? Are they a certain cultivar of sequoia that has foliage that reaches the ground?

Attached Files:

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like Sequoiadendron giganteum to me from the pictures, the same as the cluster at Vandusen.

5. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

What causes some to have foliage that extends to the ground, but others to not have foliage until 20' up? I am assuming age?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

In urban / suburban situations, primarily the presence or absence of pruning shears, but the amount of shade from other trees can also affect lowest live branch height.

7. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

So if I want to keep it looking like the first pic, then just prune it into a globe and shear off the branches 5' and above? And if I want to keep it like the Van Dusen ones, then do nothing, and expect that in 50-100 years time, a lot more trunk will be exposed?

8. Michael F

Yes, except I'd not recommend the treatment (or more precisely, mutilation!) that the first one has suffered (it has had its top cut off a while ago). Its several new replacement tops will grow fast and huge, and then just when they're big and heavy, will snap off the main stem (weak attachment!) and come crashing down causing lots of damage.

9. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Ok, thank you. I imagine the owners must prune it regularly to ensure what you described does not happen! It looks like planting one of the tallest trees in BC, right under a low powerline, was not the best idea there!

10. Michael F

Definitely not a good idea!

Here's what they look like when planted closer together so the low branches get shaded out - these trees are 45-48m tall.

Attached Files: