6 year old Russian Olive DEAD ????

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by kia796, May 21, 2007.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

This 12-foot tree is/was my favourite.
    No buds at all this year, no growth.
    Until late last year it was beautiful, then looked a little sparse in early Fall.
    No sign of bugs, bark isn't oozing sap. I don't understand what has happened.
    The only sign of life is a leaf or two coming out on the trunk about a foot from the ground.

Attached Files:

2. whaletail

whaletail Member

I can't see anyone has replied to you.

Did you ever find out what happened? I have a Russian Olive which has done exactly the same. It bloomed until last year, then nothing. It is growing from the bottom too, so I'm wondering whether is should be cut down to the new growth? I hope someone can help us out as I would love to know. It was absolutely gorgeous and now..........

3. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

I wonder what the lifespan of these are? Where I live Russian Olive is an invasive species of shrubby-looking tree that tends to grow along rivers and other water. Perhaps they are more attractive when they're not considered a weed - they do have pretty silver leaves.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/russolive.shtml

4. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

Well, looking around at some sites, it seems people have cut them down and still had them come back from the roots or stump, so if the trunk seems dead you could try cutting it down and hope it comes back like a willow does.

5. whaletail

whaletail Member

Thanks for your reply. That is what I will do; cut it back and see what happens. I will post here again and let people know it's progress!
    It's actually quite bushy now at the bottom, so hopefully it will survive. I also read that I have to sterilize the blades for each cut too.
    I have quite a few of these on my 2 acre property and I love them. The smell from the small flowers is stunning (happening right now actually) and the birds come a eat some of the olives on them.

6. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

What was the purpose behind sterilizing the blades? (Just curious, b/c we have a bunch on our new property and may have to take down some of the trees).

7. whaletail

whaletail Member

8. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

Huh! I wonder why...maybe they just advise that in general, or perhaps it's something to do with the Russian Olives themselves. Thanks.