How do I know if my Ponytail Palm has rotten? What can I do to save it?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Suzan Lennox, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Suzan Lennox

Suzan Lennox Member

I've had a ponytail plam for over 10 years now. Unfortunately when I repotted it (quite a while ago now), I didn't realize that the foot was not supposed to be covered with soil. Lately, my ponytail palm had not been doing so well, so I brought it to work as the lighting was better there. Upon putting it into my car, the leafy top (the little that was left of it) broke off.

When I took a closer look at the foot of the palm, I noticed that the base was all soft and hollow like.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to save this plant? I really like it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if the caudex (what you are calling the foot) has gone soft/mushy, then it's probably not salvagable.

if the softness is only in one spot or is a general all-over thing related to not getting enough water and sun, then, you could try to raise it up above the soil line and allow it to dry out some and see if it recovers in a month or so - you'll know if it has by the caudex becoming firm again and if new growth comes out the top...

3. Suzan Lennox

Suzan Lennox Member

Thanks for your prompt response.

The caudex is soft/mushy/hollow like all around the top as well as what I would call the bottom part of the trunk. I will try what you have suggested with raising it up above the soil line and allow it to dry out. I'm hoping it will recover.

As for the top that broke off... do you know if I just stick it back in the earth if it will do anything? Will it sprout roots and eventually grow into a full plant?

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

unless there is a bit of caudex attached to the leaves, i doubt they'll root. i'm not quite sure though...hopefully someone else will have some insight about it!

5. dkg091065

dkg091065 Active Member

Sorry for your loss. You will not be able to bring this one back.